Fair Value Accounting for Financial Instruments: Does It Improve the Association between Bank Leverage and Credit Risk?
AbstractMany have argued that financial statements created under an accounting model that measures financial instruments at fair value would not fairly represent a bank's business model. In this study we examine whether financial statements using fair values for financial instruments better describe banks' credit risk than less fair-value-based financial statements. Specifically, we assess the extent to which leverage ratios that are derived using financial instruments measured along a fair value continuum are associated with various measures of credit risk. Our leverage ratios include financial instruments measured at 1) fair value; 2) US GAAP mixed-attribute values; and 3) Tier 1 bank capital values. The credit risk measures we consider are bond yield spreads and future bank failure. We find that leverage measured using the fair values of financial instruments explains significantly more variation in bond yield spreads and bank failure than the other less fair-value-based leverage ratios in both univariate and multivariate analyses. We also find that the fair value of loans and secondarily deposits appear to be the primary sources of incremental explanatory power.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stanford University, Graduate School of Business in its series Research Papers with number 2107.
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-5015
Phone: (650) 723-2146
Web page: http://gsbapps.stanford.edu/researchpapers/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-08-23 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2012-08-23 (Central Banking)
- NEP-RMG-2012-08-23 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Veronesi, Pietro & Zingales, Luigi, 2010.
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 339-368, September.
- Alexander Bleck & Xuewen Liu, 2007. "Market Transparency and the Accounting Regime," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 229-256, 05.
- John Y. Campbell & Glen B. Taksler, 2002.
"Equity Volatility and Corporate Bond Yields,"
NBER Working Papers
8961, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Glen B. Taksler, 2002. "Equity Volatility and Corporate Bond Yields," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1945, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Campbell, John & Taksler, Glen, 2003. "Equity Volatility and Corporate Bond Yields," Scholarly Articles 3153307, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Christian Laux & Christian Leuz, 2010.
"Did Fair-Value Accounting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 24(1), pages 93-118, Winter.
- Laux, Christian & Leuz, Christian, 2009. "Did fair-value accounting contribute to the financial crisis?," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/22, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christian Laux & Christian Leuz, 2009. "Did Fair-Value Accounting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?," NBER Working Papers 15515, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beaver, William H. & Shakespeare, Catherine & Soliman, Mark T., 2006. "Differential properties in the ratings of certified versus non-certified bond-rating agencies," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 303-334, December.
- Christiansen, Charlotte, 2002.
"Credit spreads and the term structure of interest rates,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 279-295.
- Christiansen, Charlotte, 2000. "Credit Spreads and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Finance Working Papers 00-14, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Allen, Franklin & Carletti, Elena, 2006.
"Mark-to-market accounting and liquidity pricing,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2006/17, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Sanders Shaffer, 2010. "Fair value accounting: villain or innocent victim?: exploring the links between fair value accounting, bank regulatory capital, and the recent financial crisis," Risk and Policy Analysis Unit Working Paper QAU10-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Guillaume Plantin & Haresh Sapra & Hyun Song Shin, 2008.
"Marking-to-Market: Panacea or Pandora's Box?,"
Journal of Accounting Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 435-460, 05.
- Mark Flannery & Christopher James, .
"Market Evidence on the Effective Maturity of Bank Assets and Liabilities,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
05-83, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Flannery, Mark J & James, Christopher M, 1984. "Market Evidence on the Effective Maturity of Bank Assets and Liabilities," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 435-45, November.
- Mark Flannery & Christopher James, . "Market Evidence on the Effective Maturity of Bank Assets and Liabilities," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 5-83, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 1998. "The Relation Between Treasury Yields and Corporate Bond Yield Spreads," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2225-2241, December.
- Ilia D. Dichev, 1998. "Is the Risk of Bankruptcy a Systematic Risk?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 1131-1147, 06.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2001. "The Determinants of Credit Spread Changes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2177-2207, December.
- Eccher, Elizabeth A. & Ramesh, K. & Thiagarajan, S. Ramu, 1996. "Fair value disclosures by bank holding companies," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-3), pages 79-117, October.
- Barth, Mary E. & Landsman, Wayne R. & Wahlen, James M., 1995. "Fair value accounting: Effects on banks' earnings volatility, regulatory capital, and value of contractual cash flows," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 577-605, June.
- Robert M. Bushman & Abbie J. Smith & Regina Wittenberg-Moerman, 2010. "Price Discovery and Dissemination of Private Information by Loan Syndicate Participants," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(5), pages 921-972, December.
- Lawrence Fisher, 1959. "Determinants of Risk Premiums on Corporate Bonds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67, pages 217.
- Cheng, Mei & Neamtiu, Monica, 2009. "An empirical analysis of changes in credit rating properties: Timeliness, accuracy and volatility," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1-2), pages 108-130, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.