In Search of ISO: An Institutional Perspective on the Adoption of International Management Standards
AbstractThis paper analyzes the determinants of the cross-national adoption of the international Environmental Management System standard ISO 14001 using a panel of 102 countries from 1996 to 2000. I use new institutional economics to develop hypotheses on the impact of the institutional environment on the cost of adopting the management standard. I also develop hypotheses using the institutional sociology perspective to address the role of the institutional environment in affecting demand and legitimation processes related to the standard. The results of the statistical analysis show that both rationales of cost minimization and legitimation play a role in the adoption of the standard. Using both theories improves our understanding of institutional forces affecting the early adoption of emerging management standards.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stanford University, Graduate School of Business in its series Research Papers with number 1784.
Date of creation: Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-5015
Phone: (650) 723-2146
Web page: http://gsbapps.stanford.edu/researchpapers/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baron, James N & Hannan, Michael T, 1994. "The Impact of Economics on Contemporary Sociology," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1111-46, September.
- Merges, Robert P. & Nelson, Richard R., 1994. "On limiting or encouraging rivalry in technical progress: The effect of patent scope decisions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Shapiro, Carl & Willig, Robert D, 1990. "On the Antitrust Treatment of Production Joint Ventures," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 113-30, Summer.
- Guglielmo Caporale & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2010.
"Pollution Abatement And Control Expenditure In Romania: A Multilevel Analysis,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp994, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Rault, Christophe & Sova, Robert & Sova, Anamaria, 2010. "Pollution Abatement and Control Expenditure in Romania: A Multilevel Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 5041, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.