Equations on the Derivatives of an Initial Endowment-Competitive Equilibrium Mapping for an Exchange Economy
AbstractConsider an exchange economy with n traders and k goods. Suppose that there exists C2 mappings p(middot) and x (middot) that specify for each initial endowment w of the k goods to the n traders a price vector p(w) and a vector of net trades x(w) that define a competitive equilibrium. Three systems of determinant equations are derived that the derivatives of p(middot) and x(middot) necessarily satisfy regardless of the underlying preferences that determine these mappings. Each of the three systems of equations fundamentally reflects the interaction among traders in the competitive mechanism.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business in its series Working Papers with number 02-0110.
Date of creation: May 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.business.uiuc.edu/Working_Papers/Main.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1972. "Market Excess Demand Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(3), pages 549-63, May.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1974. "Excess demand functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 15-21, March.
- John H. Nachbar, 2002. "General Equilibrium Comparative Statics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 2065-2074, September.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1977. "On the equilibrium price set of an exchange economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 117-126, August.
- Saari, Donald G., 1984. "A method for constructing message systems for smooth performance functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 249-274, August.
- Chen, Pengyuan, 1992. "A lower bound for the dimension of the message space of the decentralized mechanisms realizing a given goal," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 249-270.
- Donald J. Brown & Rosa L. Matzkin, 1995.
"Testable Restrictions on the Equilibrium Manifold,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1109, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Mantel, Rolf R., 1974. "On the characterization of aggregate excess demand," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 348-353, March.
- Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1973. "Do Walras' identity and continuity characterize the class of community excess demand functions?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 345-354, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.