Product Differentiation and the Gains from Trade under Bertrand Duopoly
AbstractIn the literature on the welfare effects of free trade under imperfect competition, one important case seems to have been overlooked and that is the Bertrand duopoly model with differentiated products. Although many authors have analysed the welfare effects of free trade under Cournot duopoly, and demonstrated the possibility of losses from trade, there has been no thorough analysis of the welfare effects of free trade under Bertrand duopoly. This paper presents a thorough analysis of the welfare effects of free trade under Bertrand duopoly with differentiated products, and it is shown that there are always gains from trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Royal Economic Society in its series Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 with number 47.
Date of creation: 04 Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/society/annualconf.asp
More information through EDIRC
gains from trade; Bertrand Oligopoly;
Other versions of this item:
- Roger Clarke & David Collie, 2003. "Product differentiation and the gains from trade under Bertrand duopoly," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 658-673, August.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bouwe R. Dijkstra & Anuj J. Mathew & Arijit Mukherjeea, 2011. "Strict environmental policy: An incentive for FDI," Faculty Working Papers 08/11, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 2010.
"Oligopoly and Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8172, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Neary & Dermot Leahy, 2010. "Oligopoly and Trade," Economics Series Working Papers 517, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dermot Leahy & J. Peter Neary, 2010. "Oligopoly And Trade," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n215-10.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2006:i:6:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arijit Mukherjee, 2007. "Entry in a Stackelberg perfect equilibrium," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(33), pages 1-6.
- Takanori Ago & Ikumo Isono & Takatoshi Tabuchi, 2006. "Locational disadvantage of the hub," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 819-848, December.
- Leonard Wang & Ya-Chin Wang & Lihong Zhao, 2009. "Trade liberalization, intra-industry trade and the environment: competition mode and the order of firms’ moves," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 56(2), pages 133-144, June.
- Clarke, Roger & Collie, David R., 2006.
"Export Taxes under Bertrand Duopoly,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2006/15, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- David R. Collie & Vo Phuong Mai Le, 2010.
"Antidumping Regulations: Anti-Competitive and Anti-Export,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 796-806, November.
- Collie, David R. & Le, Vo Phuong Mai, 2008. "Anti-Dumping Regulations: Anti-Competitive and Anti-Export," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/27, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Collie, David R. & Le, Vo Phuong Mai, 2011. "Product Differentiation, the Volume of Trade and Profits under Cournot and Bertrand Duopoly," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2011/26, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Kikuchi, Toru, 2008.
"Switching Costs and the foreign Firm's Entry,"
8093, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bouckaert J. & De Borger B., 2010.
"Price competition between subsidized organizations,"
2010019, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Jan Bouckaert & Bruno De Borger, 2013. "Price competition between subsidized organizations," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 109(2), pages 117-145, June.
- Friberg, Richard & Ganslandt, Mattias, 2005.
"Reciprocal dumping with Bertrand competition,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
592, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Friberg, Richard & Ganslandt, Mattias, 2005. "Reciprocal Dumping with Bertrand Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 5023, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Friberg, Richard & Ganslandt, Mattias, 2005. "Reciprocal Dumping with Bertrand Competition," Working Paper Series 638, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Collie, David R., 2009. "Tacit Collusion over Foreign Direct Investment under Oligopoly," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2009/8, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2007:i:33:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Friberg, Richard & Ganslandt, Mattias, 2006. "An empirical assessment of the welfare effects of reciprocal dumping," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 1-24, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.