Manufacturing price determination in OECD countries; markups, demand and uncertainty in a dynamic heterogeneous panel
AbstractManufacturing price markup equations are estimated for 15 OECD countries using annual data. Firms have CES production technology. The markup depends on demand, competitors' prices and uncertainty. Cointegration is tested with the Pedroni tests and a panel version of the Johansen test, and evidence found for unique cointegrating vectors. Estimation of the long-run parameters is performed with a pooled mean group method, with short run heterogeneous dynamics. Tests for homogeneity of the long-run parameters do not reject the hypothesis. Markups are pro-cyclical and rise with both competitors' prices and uncertainty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Royal Economic Society in its series Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 with number 168.
Date of creation: 04 Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/society/annualconf.asp
More information through EDIRC
pricing behaviour; markups; panel test for order of integration; panel cointegration; dynamic heterogeneous panels; pooled mean group estimation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roger Bjørnstad & Kjartan Øren Kalstad, 2006.
"Increased Price Markup from Union Coordination. OECD Panel Evidence,"
470, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Bjørnstad, Roger & Kalstad, Kjartan Øren, 2010. "Increased price markup from union coordination: OECD panel evidence," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 4(30), pages 1-37.
- Bjørnstad, Roger & Kalstad, Kjartan Øren, 2010. "Increased price markup from union coordination: OECD panel evidence," Economics Discussion Papers 2010-13, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Kim, Byung-Yeon & Korhonen, Iikka, 2002.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Countries: Evidence from Dynamic Heterogeneous Panel Models,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
15/2002, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Kim, Byung-Yeon & Korhonen, Iikka, 2005. "Equilibrium exchange rates in transition countries: Evidence from dynamic heterogeneous panel models," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 144-162, June.
- Byung-Yeon Kim & Iikka Korhonen, 2002. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Countries: Evidence from Dynamic Heterogeneous Panel Models," Macroeconomics 0212014, EconWPA.
- Colin Ellis & Simon Price, 2003. "The impact of price competitiveness on UK producer price behaviour," Bank of England working papers 178, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.