Sustaining Growth in a Resource-Based Economy: The Main Issues and the Specific Case of Russia
AbstractThis paper argues that the challenges posed by resource dependence, which include an increased vulnerability to external shocks, the risk of Dutch disease and the risk of development specific institutional pathologies, can be overcome, or at least very substaintially mitigated, if accompanied by the right economic policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNECE in its series ECE Discussion Papers Series with number 2005_3.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in UNECE Discussion Paper Series, No. 2005_3
Russia; resource abundance; dutch disease; economic growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O24 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Trade Policy; Factor Movement; Foreign Exchange Policy
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- P28 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Natural Resources; Environment
- Q33 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation - - - Resource Booms (Dutch Disease)
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kalotay, Kalman, 2008. "Russian transnationals and international investment paradigms," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 85-107, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Shelburne).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.