The Process of European Integration and the Future of Europe
AbstractThis paper provides the text of the Gunnar Myrdal Lecture presented at the U.N. Palais des Nations in 2004. The lecture addresses the present economic and political conditions in an integrated Europe and the challenges ahead, particularly how the expansion of the European Union will require important changes in its institutions. The role of an excessively rigid macroeconomic framework in expaining the weak growth performance of Europe is explored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNECE in its series ECE Discussion Papers Series with number 2004_1.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in UNECE Discussion Paper Series, No. 2004_1
Growth; Europe; Myrdal; institutions; macroeconomic policy; European Union;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P50 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - General
- P51 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Analysis of Economic Systems
- P10 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - General
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- H10 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - General
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- E64 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Incomes Policy; Price Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Shelburne).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.