The EMU after Three Years: Lessons and Challenges
AbstractThe paper provides an analysis of the first three years of the European Monetary Union. It discusses the changeover to Euro notes, the performance of monetary policy in terms of price stability and real growth, the establishment of credibility for the ECB, and the two pillar strategy. The weakness of the euro's exchange value during the first three years is explained. Some aspects of the eastern enlargement of the eurozone are examined especially the problems that may be associated with the lack of real convergence. Other issues such as the importance of a Balassa-Samuelson effect and the need for appropriate fiscal policies are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNECE in its series ECE Discussion Papers Series with number 2002_1.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in UNECE Discussion Paper Series, No. 2002_1
European Monetary Union; European Central Bank; Euro; monetary policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2009.
"The Euro and inflation uncertainty in the European Monetary Union,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 954-971, October.
- Guglielmo Maria, Caporale & Alexandros , Kontonikas, 2007. "The Euro and Inflation Uncertainty in the European Monetary Union," CELPE Discussion Papers 101, CELPE (Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy), University of Salerno, Italy.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2006. "The Euro and Inflation Uncertainty in the European Monetary Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 1842, CESifo Group Munich.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2006. "The Euro And Inflation Uncertainty In The European Monetary Union," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 06-01, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Marko Lah & Tjaša Redek & Andrej Sušjan, 2008. "The Changing Role of the Labour Market within the EMU: the Case of Slovenia," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 375-387, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Shelburne).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.