The Status of the Millennium Development Goals in the UNECE Region
AbstractBesides creating a growing, prosperous, and peaceful Europe, we all have an interest in ensuring that the benefits of this extend to the most unfortunate of those amongst us. The UN Millennium Development Goals provide a yardstick for how well this objective is being addressed. This paper provides a concise overview of the progress that is being made in achieving the MGDs in the region. The central message is that although significant progress is being made based upon strong economic growth, the fulfilment of these objectives is likely to require some new policy initiatives that more precisely target the needs of the region. The importance of resolving existing political conflicts and maintaining the momentum in promoting pan-European economic integration are also emphasized. Length: 5 pages
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNECE in its series UNECE Annual Report Economic Essays with number 2008_11.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in United Nations ECE 2008 Annual Report
Millennium development goals; Europe; transition economies; integration; poverty; child mortality; gender equality; aids and tubercolosis; develoment aid;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Shelburne).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.