The structural determinants of the US competitiveness in the last decades: a "trade-revealing" analysis
AbstractWe analyze the decline in the U.S. share of world merchandise exports against the backdrop of a model-based measure of competitiveness. We preliminarily use constant market share analysis and gravity estimations to show that the majority of the decline in export shares can be associated with a declining share of world income, suggesting that the dismal performance of the U.S. market share is not a sufficient statistic for competitiveness. We then derive a computable measure of country-sector specific real marginal costs (i.e. competitiveness) which, insofar it is inferred from actual trade ows, is referred to as 'revealed'. Brought to the data, this measure reveals that most U.S. manufacturing industries are losing momentum relative to their main competitors, as we find U.S. revealed marginal costs to grow by more than 38% on average. At the sectoral level, the "Machinery" industry is the most critical. JEL Classification: F12, F17, F19
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 1443.
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- F19 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-07-08 (Business Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2012-07-08 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dennis Novy, 2011.
"Gravity Redux: Measuring International Trade Costs with Panel Data,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3616, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dennis Novy, 2013. "Gravity Redux: Measuring International Trade Costs With Panel Data," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 51(1), pages 101-121, 01.
- Dennis Novy, 2012. "Gravity Redux: Measuring International Trade Costs with Panel Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp1114, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Novy, Dennis, 2008. "Gravity Redux : Measuring International Trade Costs with Panel Data," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 861, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Thoenig, Mathias, 2005.
"Make trade not war ?,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb)
- Finicelli, Andrea & Pagano, Patrizio & Sbracia, Massimo, 2009.
16951, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Finicelli & Patrizio Pagano & Massimo Sbracia, 2009. "Trade-Revealed TFP," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 729, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Patrizio Pagano & Massimo Sbracia & Andrea Finicelli, 2008. "Trade-revealed TFP," 2008 Meeting Papers 717, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Massimo Del Gatto & Giordano Mion & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2006.
"Trade Integration, Firm Selection and the Costs of Non-Europe,"
Development Working Papers
218, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Del Gatto, Massimo & Mion, Giordano & Ottaviano, Gianmarco Ireo Paolo, 2006. "Trade Integration, Firm Selection and the Costs of Non-Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 5730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- DEL GATTO, Massimo & MION, Giordano & OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco I.P., 2006. "Trade integration, firm selection and the costs of non-Europe," CORE Discussion Papers 2006061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- M. Del Gatto & G. Mion & GIP. Ottaviano, 2007. "Trade Integration, Firm Selection and the Costs of Non-Europe," Working Paper CRENoS 200703, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Michael E. Waugh, 2009.
"International trade and income differences,"
435, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Gregory Corcos & Massimo Del Gatto & Giordano Mion & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2009.
"Productivity and Firm Selection: Quantifying the "New" Gains from Trade,"
KITeS Working Papers
002, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2009.
- Gregory Corcos & Massimo Del Gatto & Giordano Mion & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2012. "Productivity and Firm Selection: Quantifying the ‘New’ Gains from Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(561), pages 754-798, 06.
- Corocs Gregory & Massimo Del Gatto & Giordano Mion & Gianmarco I P. Ottaviano, 2009. "Productivity and firm selection: quantifying the "new" gains from trade," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33249, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gregory Corocs & Massimo Del Gatto & Giordano Mion & G.I.P. Ottaviano, 2009. "Productivity and Firm Selection: Quantifying the "New" Gains from Trade," SERC Discussion Papers 0028, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Gregory Corcos & Massimo Del Gatto & Giordano Mion, 2009. "Productivity and Firm Selection: Quantifying the “New” Gains from Trade," Working Papers 2009.115, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- M. Del Gatto & F. Di Mauro & J. Gruber & B. Mandel, 2012.
"The “Revealed” Competitiveness of U.S. Exports,"
Working Paper CRENoS
201232, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Harald Fadinger & Pablo Fleiss, 2011.
"Trade and Sectoral Productivity,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(555), pages 958-989, 09.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Haiyan Deng & Alyson C. Ma & Hengyong Mo, 2005. "World Trade Flows: 1962-2000," NBER Working Papers 11040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard M. Hoekman, 2013. "Global Governance of International Competitiveness Spillovers," RSCAS Working Papers 2013/33, European University Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.