On approximating DSGE models by series expansions
AbstractWe show how to use a simple perturbation method to solve non-linear rational expectation models. Drawing from the applied mathematics literature we propose a method consisting of series expansions of the non-linear system around a known solution. The variables are represented in terms of their orders of approximation with respect to a perturbation parameter. The final solution, therefore, is the sum of the different orders. This approach links to formal arguments the idea that each order of approximation is solved recursively taking as given the lower order of approximation. Therefore, this method is not subject to the ambiguity concerning the order of the variables in the resulting state-space representation as, for example, has been discussed by Kim et al. (2008). Provided that the model is locally stable, the approximation technique discussed in this paper delivers stable solutions at any order of approximation. JEL Classification: C63, E0
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 1264.
Date of creation: Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-11-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DGE-2010-11-13 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-ECM-2010-11-13 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ORE-2010-11-13 (Operations Research)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2010.
"Estimating Nonlinear DSGE Models by the Simulated Method of Moments,"
Cahiers de recherche
2010-10, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2010. "Estimating Nonlinear DSGE Models by the Simulated Method of Moments," Cahiers de recherche 19-2010, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Francisco J. Ruge-Murcia, 2011. "Estimating Nonlinear DSGE Models by the Simulated Method of Moments," 2011 Meeting Papers 237, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Francisco J. Ruge-Murcia, 2010. "Estimating Nonlinear DSGE Models by the Simulated Method of Moments," Working Paper Series 49_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Lan, Hong & Meyer-Gohde, Alexander, 2012.
"Existence and Uniqueness of Perturbation Solutions in DSGE Models,"
Dynare Working Papers
- Hong Lan & Alexander Meyer-Gohde, 2012. "Existence and Uniqueness of Perturbation Solutions to DSGE Models," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-015, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Caterina Mendicino, 2012. "Collateral Requirements: Macroeconomic Fluctuations and Macro-Prudential Policy," Working Papers w201211, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Ruge-Murcia, Francisco, 2012. "Estimating nonlinear DSGE models by the simulated method of moments: With an application to business cycles," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 914-938.
- Jaroslav Borovicka & Lars Peter Hansen, 2011.
"Examining Macroeconomic Models Through the Lens of Asset Pricing,"
2011-012, Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics.
- Jaroslav Borovicka & Lars Hansen, 2012. "Examining macroeconomic models through the lens of asset pricing," Working Paper Series WP-2012-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Den Haan, Wouter J. & De Wind, Joris, 2012. "Nonlinear and stable perturbation-based approximations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1477-1497.
- Hong Lan & Alexander Meyer-Gohde, 2011.
"Solving DSGE Models with a Nonlinear Moving Average,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2011-087, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Hong Lan & Alexander Meyer-Gohde, 2011. "Dynare add-on for "Solving DSGE Models with a Nonlinear Moving Average"," QM&RBC Codes 192, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles, revised 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.