Banking sector output measurement in the euro area - a modified approach
AbstractBanks do not charge explicit fees for many of the services they provide but the service payment is bundled with the offered interest rates. This output therefore has to be imputed using estimates of the opportunity cost of funds. We argue that rather than using the single short-term, low-risk interest rate as in current official statistics, reference rates should more closely match the risk characteristics of loans and deposits. For the euro area, imputed bank output is, on average, 24 to 40 percent lower than according to current methodology. This implies an average downward adjustment of euro area GDP (at current prices) between 0.16 and 0.27 percent. JEL Classification: E01, E44, O47
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 1204.
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E01 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Measurement and Data on National Income and Product Accounts and Wealth; Environmental Accounts
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-06-11 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2010-06-11 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2010-06-11 (European Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. De Graeve & O. De Jonghe & R. Vander Vennet, 2004.
"Competition, transmission and bank pricing policies: Evidence from Belgian loan and deposit markets,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
04/261, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- De Graeve, Ferre & De Jonghe, Olivier & Vennet, Rudi Vander, 2007. "Competition, transmission and bank pricing policies: Evidence from Belgian loan and deposit markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 259-278, January.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok S�rensen, 2011.
"A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(23), pages 3155-3167.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. Rixtel & C. Kok-Sorensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the Euro area," CPB Discussion Paper 84, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok-Sørensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0736, Banco de Espa�a.
- van Leuvensteijn, Michiel & Bikker, Jacob A. & Van Rixtel, Adrian & Kok, Christoffer, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Working Paper Series 0768, European Central Bank.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok-Sorensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," DNB Working Papers 143, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Leuvensteijn, Michiel van & Bikker, Jacob A. & Rixtel, Adrian A.R.J.M. van & Kok-Sørensen, Christoffer, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," CEI Working Paper Series 2007-6, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.