Choice of currency in bond issuance and the international role of currencies
AbstractThis paper investigates bond issuance of non-financial corporations in advanced economies during the period 1999-2003, attempting to understand motives for issuing in foreign currency, and determinants for the choice of currency. We consider the following influences on the currency choice when issuing foreign currency denominated debt: the microeconomic characteristics of the firm, the macroeconomic institutional environment and the financial particularities of the bond issue. We find that in addition to cost minimisation, hedging motives and the desire to establish an investor base influences the choice of currency. At the same time, market conventions and regulation also affect the choice. JEL Classification: C25, E44, F23, G32
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0814.
Date of creation: Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Thimann, 2008.
"Global Roles of Currencies,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 211-245, December.
- Susan Black & Anella Munro, 2010. "Why issue bonds offshore?," BIS Working Papers 334, Bank for International Settlements.
- Paul Mizen & Frank Packer & Eli Remolona & Serafeim Tsoukas, .
"Why do firms issue abroad? Lessons from onshore and offshore corporate bond finance in Asian emerging markets,"
12/15, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Paul Mizen & Frank Packer & Eli Remolona & Serafeim Tsoukas, 2012. "Why do firms issue abroad? Lessons from onshore and offshore corporate bond finance in Asian emerging markets," Working Papers 2012_16, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Paul Mizen & Frank Packer & Eli M Remolona & Serafeim Tsoukas, 2012. "Why do firms issue abroad? Lessons from onshore and offshore corporate bond finance in Asian emerging markets," BIS Working Papers 401, Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.