The behaviour of producer prices: some evidence from the French PPI micro data
AbstractThis paper provides some new empirical features on price setting behaviour for French producers using micro data underlying the producer and business-services price indices over the period 1994-2005. Some crucial methodological issues on the collection of producer prices are raised. Then, the main features of producers' price setting are presented: producer prices are modified quite frequently and by small amounts. A high heterogeneity across sectors is also observed: business-services prices change less often than industrial producer prices. The data lend some support to predictions of both time- and state-dependence models: Taylor contracts are not unusual but prices also respond to the changes in the firm's economic conditions. Nevertheless, time-dependent models are shown to be the most relevant theories to explain the producer price rigidity. JEL Classification: E31, D43, L11, L16
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0699.
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Gautier, E., 2006. "The Behaviour of Producer Prices: some Evidence from the French PPI Micro Data," Working papers 160, Banque de France.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-01-14 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2007-01-14 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MIC-2007-01-14 (Microeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Emmanuel Dhyne & Jerzy Konieczny & Fabio Rumler & Patrick Sevestre, 2009. "Price rigidity in the euro area - An assessment," European Economy - Economic Papers 380, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Andrew Ang & Marie Brière & Ombretta Signori, 2012.
"Inflation and Individual Equities,"
NBER Working Papers
17798, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Manuel Julio & Héctor Manuel Zárate, 2008.
"The Price Setting Behavior in Colombia:Evidence from PPI Micro Data,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
004511, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan manuel Julio & Héctor manuel Zárate, 2008. "The Price SeTTing Behavior in colomBia: evidence from PPi micro data," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Juan Manuel Julio & Héctor Manuel Zárate, . "The Price Setting Behavior in Colombia: Evidence from PPI Micro Data," Borradores de Economia 483, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis J. Álvarez, 2007.
"What do micro price data tell us on the validity of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve?,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0728, Banco de Espa�a.
- Alvarez González, Luis Julián, 2008. "What Do Micro Price Data Tell Us on the Validity of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve?," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2(19), pages 1-36.
- Luis J. Alvarez, 2007. "What Do Micro Price Data Tell Us on the Validity of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve?," Kiel Working Papers 1330, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Álvarez, Luis J., 2007. "What Do Micro Price Data Tell Us on the Validity of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve?," Economics Discussion Papers 2007-46, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Hervé Le Bihan & Jérémi Montornès & Thomas Heckel, 2012.
"Sticky Wages: Evidence from Quarterly Microeconomic Data,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 1-32, July.
- Heckel, Thomas & Le Bihan, Hervé & Montornès, Jérémi, 2008. "Sticky wages: evidence from quarterly microeconomic data," Working Paper Series 0893, European Central Bank.
- Heckel, T. & Le Bihan, H. & Montornès, J., 2008. "Sticky Wages. Evidence from Quarterly Microeconomic Data," Working papers 208, Banque de France.
- Shruti Tripathi & Ashima Goyal, 2011. "Relative prices, the price level and inflation: Effects of asymmetric and sticky adjustment," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2011-026, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Peter J. Klenow & Benjamin A. Malin, 2010.
"Microeconomic Evidence on Price-Setting,"
NBER Working Papers
15826, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dias, D. & Dossche, M. & Gautier, E. & Hernando, I. & Sabbatini , R. & Stahl , H. & Vermeulen, P., 2007. "Macro Price setting in the euro area: Some stylised facts from Individual Producer Price," Working papers 164, Banque de France.
- Erwan Gautier, 2008. "The Changing Picture of Production Prices: an Analysis using Production Price Quotes," Economie et Statistique, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, vol. 407, pages 3-26, April.
- Erwan Gautier, 2007. "La dynamique des changements de prix de production en France : une analyse à partir des relevés de prix de production," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 407(1), pages 3-26.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.