Time-dependent or state-dependent price setting? Micro-evidence from German metal-working industries
AbstractPrice setting in German metal-working industries is analysed using a monthly panel of individual price data for more than 2,000 plants covering the period from 1980 to 2001. Motivated by several models in the literature, a duration model is estimated. Price changes can be explained by a combination of state-dependence and time-dependence. Time-dependence clearly dominates and is strongest if a price increase follows a price increase. This occurs most likely after 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, … quarters. This time-dependent effect is so strong and cost and price increases are so weak in the observed period that adjustment occurs before the sticky price sufficiently deviates from the flexible price, as traditional menu cost models assume. State-dependence seems to be most relevant in periods with decreasing demand. Then firms reduce prices and the time between two price cuts only rarely exceeds four months. JEL Classification: D43, E31, L11
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0534.
Date of creation: Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Stahl, Harald, 2005. "Time-dependent or state-dependent price setting? Micro-evidence from German metal-working industries," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2005,25, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dhyne, Emmanuel & Fuss, Catherine & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Sevestre, Patrick, 2011.
"Lumpy Price Adjustments: A Microeconometric Analysis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 29(4), pages 529-540.
- Emmanuel Dhyne & Catherine Fuss & Hashem Pesaran & Patrick Sevestre, 2006. "Lumpy price adjustments : a microeconometric analysis," Working Paper Research 100, National Bank of Belgium.
- Emmanuel Dhyne & Catherine Fuss & M. Hashem Pesaran & Patrick Sevestre, 2007. "Lumpy Price Adjustments: A Microeconometric Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 2010, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dhyne, E. & Fuss, C. & Pesaran, H. & Sevestre, P., 2007. "Lumpy Price Adjustments: A Microeconometric Analysis," Working papers 185, Banque de France.
- Dhyne, Emmanuel & Fuss, Catherine & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Sevestre, Patrick, 2007. "Lumpy Price Adjustments: A Microeconometric Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 2793, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dhyne, E. & Fuss, C. & Pesaran, H. & Sevestre, P., 2007. "Lumpy Price Adjustments, A Microeconometric Analysis," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0719, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Loupias, C. & Sevestre, P., 2010.
"Costs, demand, and producer price changes,"
273, Banque de France.
- Loupias, Claire & Sevestre, Patrick, 2010. "Costs, demand, and producer price changes," Working Paper Series 1184, European Central Bank.
- Claire Loupias & Patrick Sevestre, 2010. "Cost, Demand and Producer Price Changes," Documents de recherche 10-06, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Carlsson, Mikael & Westermark, Andreas, 2011. "The New Keynesian Phillips Curve and staggered price and wage determination in a model with firm-specific labor," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 579-603, April.
- Stahl, Harald, 2006.
"Price adjustment in German manufacturing: evidence from two merged survey,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,46, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Harald Stahl, 2010. "Price adjustment in German manufacturing: evidence from two merged surveys," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(2-3), pages 67-92.
- Christian Merkl & Dennis J. Snower, 2005.
"Monetary Persistence, Imperfect Competition, and Staggering Complementarities,"
Kiel Working Papers
1257, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Merkl, Christian & Snower, Dennis, 2009. "Monetary Persistence, Imperfect Competition, And Staggering Complementarities," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 81-106, February.
- Merkl, Christian & Snower, Dennis J., 2007. "Monetary Persistence, Imperfect Competition, and Staggering Complementarities," IZA Discussion Papers 3033, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Merkl, Christian & Snower, Dennis J., 2006. "Monetary Persistence, Imperfect Competition and Staggering Complementarities," CEPR Discussion Papers 5658, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gaspar, Vítor & Levin, Andrew & Martins, Fernando Manuel & Smets, Frank, 2007.
"Evidence from Surveys of Price-Setting Managers: Policy Lessons and Directions for Ongoing Research,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6227, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vítor Gaspar & Andrew Levin & Fernando Martins & Frank Smets, 2009. "Evidence from surveys of price-setting managers: Policy lessons and directions for ongoing research," Working Papers w200927, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Dias, D. & Dossche, M. & Gautier, E. & Hernando, I. & Sabbatini , R. & Stahl , H. & Vermeulen, P., 2007. "Macro Price setting in the euro area: Some stylised facts from Individual Producer Price," Working papers 164, Banque de France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.