Term structure and the sluggishness of retail bank interest rates in euro area countries
AbstractThis paper analyses the pricing of bank loans and deposits in euro area countries. We show that retail bank interest rates adjust not only to changes in short term interest rates but also to long-term interest rates. This result, which is arguably intuitive for long-term retail bank rates, is also confirmed for bank interest rates on short-term instruments. The transmission of changes in short-term market interest rates along the yield curve is found to be a key factor explaining the sluggishness of retail bank interest rates. We also show that in the cases where we cannot reject that the adjustment of retail rates has changed since the introduction of the euro, this adjustment has become faster. JEL Classification: E43, G21
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0518.
Date of creation: Sep 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-10-04 (European Economics)
- NEP-FIN-2005-10-04 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2005-10-04 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MAC-2005-10-04 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2005-10-04 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabe de Bondt, 2004. "The balance sheet channel of monetary policy: first empirical evidence for the euro area corporate bond market," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(3), pages 219-228.
- Calza, Alessandro & Gartner, Christine & Sousa, João, 2001.
"Modelling the demand for loans to the private sector in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
0055, European Central Bank.
- A. Calza & C. Gartner & J. Sousa, 2003. "Modelling the demand for loans to the private sector in the euro area," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 107-117.
- Calza, Alessandro & Manrique, Marta & Sousa, João, 2003. "Aggregate loans to the euro area private sector," Working Paper Series 0202, European Central Bank.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Michael Ehrmann, 2003. "Monetary transmission in the euro area: early evidence," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 469-501, October.
- Mojon, Benoît & Kashyap, Anil K. & Angeloni, Ignazio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 2002. "Monetary Transmission in the Euro Area : Where Do We Stand?," Working Paper Series 0114, European Central Bank.
- Coffinet, J., 2005. "Politique monétaire unique et canal des taux d’intérêt en France et dans la zone euro," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 136, pages 29-40.
- Marie Donnay & Hans Degryse, 2001. "Bank Lending Rate Pass-Through and Differences in the Transmission of a Single EMU Monetary Policy," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0117, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Jacob A. Bikker, 2001.
"Efficiency in the European banking industry: an exploratory analysis to rank contries,"
Brussels Economic Review,
ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 17.
- J.A. Bikker, 1999. "Efficiency in the European banking industry: an exploratory analysis to rank countries," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 18, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Dermine, J., 1986. "Deposit rates, credit rates and bank capital : The Klein-Monti Model Revisited," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 99-114, March.
- Corvoisier, Sandrine & Gropp, Reint, 2001.
"Bank Concentration and Retail Interest Rates,"
Working Paper Series
0072, European Central Bank.
- Claudio E. V. Borio & Wilhelm Fritz, 1995. "The response of short-term bank lending rates to policy rates: a cross-country perspective," BIS Working Papers 27, Bank for International Settlements.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/121618 is not listed on IDEAS
- de Bondt, Gabe, 2002. "Retail bank interest rate pass-through: new evidence at the euro area level," Working Paper Series 0136, European Central Bank.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.