Structural filters for monetary analysis: the inflationary movements of money in the euro area
AbstractThe quantity theory of money predicts a positive relationship between monetary growth and inflation over long-run horizons. However, in the short-run, transitory shocks to either money or inflation can obscure the inflationary signal stemming from money. The spectral analysis of time series provides filtering tools for removing fluctuations associated with certain frequency movements. However, use of these techniques in isolation is often criticised as being an oversimplistic statistical exercise potentially void of economic content. The objective of this paper is to develop ‘structural’ filtering techniques that rely on the use of spectral analysis in combination with a structural economic model with well identified shocks. A ‘money augmented’ Phillips curve that links inflation to money tightness and demand shocks of medium to long-term persistence is presented. It is shown that medium to long-term movements in inflation are mostly associated with the estimated monetary indicators. JEL Classification: E31, E50, C32
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0470.
Date of creation: Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2005-10-04 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2005-10-04 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2005-10-04 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2005-10-04 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1997.
"Monetary policy shocks: what have we learned and to what end?,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
WP-97-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Eichenbaum, Martin & Evans, Charles L., 1999. "Monetary policy shocks: What have we learned and to what end?," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 65-148 Elsevier.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1998. "Monetary Policy Shocks: What Have We Learned and to What End?," NBER Working Papers 6400, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joaquim Vieira Ferreira Levy & Alessandro Calza & Dieter Gerdesmeier, 2001. "Euro Area Money Demand," IMF Working Papers 01/179, International Monetary Fund.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Two Illustrations of the Quantity Theory of Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1005-14, December.
- Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin & Gerlach, Stefan, 2006.
"Money Growth, Output Gaps and Inflation at Low and High Frequency: Spectral Estimates for Switzerland,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5723, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin & Gerlach, Stefan, 2008. "Money growth, output gaps and inflation at low and high frequency: Spectral estimates for Switzerland," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 411-435, February.
- Katrin Assenmacher-Wesche & Stefan Gerlach, 2006. "Money Growth, Output Gaps and Inflation at Low and High Frequency: Spectral Estimates for Switzerland," Working Papers 2006-05, Swiss National Bank.
- Chevapatrakul, Thanaset & Kim, Tae-Hwan & Mizen, Paul, 2012. "Monetary information and monetary policy decisions: Evidence from the euroarea and the UK," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 326-341.
- Morana, Claudio, 2006. "A small scale macroeconometric model for the Euro-12 area," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 391-426, May.
- Nachane, D.M. & Dubey, Amlendu Kumar, 2011. "The vanishing role of money in the macro-economy: An empirical investigation for India," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 859-869, May.
- Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin & Gerlach, Stefan, 2006.
"Interpreting Euro Area Inflation at High and Low Frequencies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin & Gerlach, Stefan, 2008. "Interpreting euro area inflation at high and low frequencies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 964-986, August.
- Stefan Gerlach & Katrin Assenmacher-Wesche, 2006. "Interpreting Euro area inflation at high and low frequencies," BIS Working Papers 195, Bank for International Settlements.
- Joao Miguel Sousa & Andrea Zaghini, 2007.
"Global Monetary Policy Shocks in the G5: a SVAR Approach,"
CEIS Research Paper
89, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Sousa, Joao Miguel & Zaghini, Andrea, 2007. "Global monetary policy shocks in the G5: A SVAR approach," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 403-419, December.
- Sousa, Joao Miguel & Zaghini, Andrea, 2006. "Global monetary policy shocks in the G5: A SVAR approach," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/30, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- António Rua, 2012.
"Money Growth and Inflation in the Euro Area: A Time-Frequency View,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 74(6), pages 875-885, December.
- António Rua, 2011. "Money growth and inflation in the euro area: a time-frequency view," Working Papers w201122, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Jér�me Coffinet & Sylvain Gouteron, 2010. "Euro-Area Yield Curve Reaction to Monetary News," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11, pages 208-224, 05.
- Jerzy Pruski & Piotr Szpunar, 2008. "The monetary transmission mechanism in Poland," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Transmission mechanisms for monetary policy in emerging market economies, volume 35, pages 427-437 Bank for International Settlements.
- Bernard Laurens & Rodolfo Maino, 2007. "China," IMF Working Papers 07/14, International Monetary Fund.
- Carlos Robalo Marques & Nuno Alves & João Sousa, 2006. "Some Issues Concerning the Use of M3 for Monetary Policy Analysis in the Euro Area," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- D. M. Nachane & Amlendu Kumar Dubey, 2008. "The Vanishing Role of Money in the Macroeconomy - An Empirical Investigation Based On Spectral and Wavelet Analysis," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22369, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Petra Gerlach-Kristen, 2006.
"A Two-Pillar Phillips Curve for Switzerland,"
2006-09, Swiss National Bank.
- Nuno Alves & Carlos Robalo Marques & João Sousa, 2007. "Is the euro area M3 abandoning us?," Working Papers w200720, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- El-Shagi, Makram & Giesen, Sebastian, 2013. "Money and inflation: Consequences of the recent monetary policy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 520-537.
- D.M. Nachane & Amlendu Kumar Dubey, 2008. "The vanishing role of money in the macroeconomy: An Empirical investigation based on spectral and wavelet analysis," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2008-022, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.