Foreign exchange option and returns based correlation forecasts: evaluation and two applications
AbstractWe compare option-implied correlation forecasts from a dataset consisting of over 10 years of daily data on over-the-counter (OTC) currency option prices to a set of return-based correlation measures and assess the relative quality of the correlation forecasts. We find that while the predictive power of implied correlation is not always superior to that of returns based correlations measures, it tends to provide the most consistent results across currencies. Predictions that use both implied and returns-based correlations generate the highest adjusted R2s, explaining up to 42 per cent of the realised correlations. We then apply the correlation forecasts to two policyrelevant topics, to produce scenario analyses for the euro effective exchange rate index, and to analyse the impact on cross-currency co-movement of interventions on the JPY/USD exchange rate. JEL Classification: F31, F37, G15
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0447.
Date of creation: Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F37 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Finance Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2005-10-04 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2005-10-04 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-FOR-2005-10-04 (Forecasting)
- NEP-IFN-2005-10-04 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael W. Brandt & Francis X. Diebold, 2006.
"A No-Arbitrage Approach to Range-Based Estimation of Return Covariances and Correlations,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(1), pages 61-74, January.
- Michael W. Brandt & Francis X. Diebold & April, . "A No-Arbitrage Approach to Range-Based Estimation of Return Covariances and Correlations," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 03-15, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Michael W. Brandt & Francis X. Diebold, 2003. "A No-Arbitrage Approach to Range-Based Estimation of Return Covariances and Correlations," NBER Working Papers 9664, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael W. Brandt & Francis X. Diebold, 2001. "A No-Arbitrage Approach to Range-Based Estimation of Return Covariances and Correlations," PIER Working Paper Archive 03-013, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, revised 01 Apr 2003.
- Brandt, Michael W. & Diebold, Francis X., 2004. "A no-arbitrage approach to range-based estimation of return covariances and correlations," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/07, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Tim Bollerslev & Hao Zhou, 2003. "Volatility puzzles: a unified framework for gauging return-volatility regressions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-40, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Blair, Bevan J. & Poon, Ser-Huang & Taylor, Stephen J., 2001. "Forecasting S&P 100 volatility: the incremental information content of implied volatilities and high-frequency index returns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 5-26, November.
- Luca Buldorini & Stelios Makrydakis & Christian Thimann, 2002. "The effective exchange rates of the euro," Occasional Paper Series 02, European Central Bank.
- M. Kabir Hassan & Geoffrey M. Ngene & Jung Suk-Yu, 2011. "Credit Default Swaps and Sovereign Debt Markets," NFI Working Papers 2011-WP-03, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Daniel Stavárek, 2009. "Assessment of the exchange rate convergence in Euro-candidate countries," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 11(25), pages 159-180, February.
- Robert Ambrisko & Katerina Arnostova & Oxana Babecka Kucharcukova & Jan Babecky & Jan Bruha & Kamil Galuscak & Adam Gersl & Dana Hajkova & Tomas Holub & Narcisa Liliana Kadlcakova & Lubos Komarek & Zl, 2010. "Analyses of the Czech Republic's Current Economic Alignment with the Euro Area 2010," Occasional Publications - Edited Volumes, Czech National Bank, Research Department, number as10 edited by Dana Hajkova & Romana Zamazalova, August.
- Leonidas Tsiaras, 2010. "Dynamic Models of Exchange Rate Dependence Using Option Prices and Historical Returns," CREATES Research Papers 2010-35, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Tomas Adam & Oxana Babecka Kucharcukova & Jan Babecky & Jan Bruha & Tomas Holub & Eva Hromadkova & David Kocourek & Lubos Komarek & Zlatuse Komarkova & Kamila Kulhava & Petr Kral & Ivana Kubicova & Ji, 2013. "Analyses of the Czech Republic's Current Economic Alignment with the Euro Area 2013," Occasional Publications - Edited Volumes, Czech National Bank, Research Department, number as13 edited by Jakub Mateju & Kamila Kulhava, August.
- Tomas Adam & Oxana Babecka Kucharcukova & Jan Babecky & Kamil Galuscak & Tomas Holub & Eva Hromadkova & Narcisa Liliana Kadlcakova & Lubos Komarek & Zlatuse Komarkova & Petr Kral & Ivana Kubicova & Ji, 2012. "Analyses of the Czech Republic's Current Economic Alignment with the Euro Area 2012," Occasional Publications - Edited Volumes, Czech National Bank, Research Department, number as12 edited by Romana Zamazalova & Jakub Mateju, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.