The determinants of the overnight interest rate in the euro area
AbstractThe overnight interest rate is the price paid for one day loans and defines the short end of the yield curve. It is the equilibrium outcome of supply and demand for bank reserves. This paper models the intertemporal decision problems in the reserve market for both central and commercial banks. All important institutional features of the euro area reserve market are included. The model is then estimated with euro area data. A permanent change in reserve supply of one billion euro moves the overnight rate by eight basis points into the opposite direction, hence, there is a substantial liquidity effect. Most of the predictable patterns for the mean and the volatility of the overnight rate are related to monetary policy implementation, but also some calendar day effects are present. Banks react sluggishly to new information. Implications for market efficiency, endogeneity of reserve supply and underbidding are studied. JEL Classification: E52, E58, E43
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0393.
Date of creation: Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2005-10-04 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2005-10-04 (European Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2005-10-04 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2005-10-04 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2005-10-04 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2005-10-04 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel L. Thornton, 1998.
"The Federal Reserve's operating procedure, nonborrowed reserves, borrowed reserves and the liquidity effect,"
1998-009, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Thornton, Daniel L., 2001. "The Federal Reserve's operating procedure, nonborrowed reserves, borrowed reserves and the liquidity effect," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1717-1739, September.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Seitz, Franz, 2001. "The supply and demand for Eurosystem deposits - The first 18 months," Working Paper Series 0044, European Central Bank.
- James D. Hamilton, 1996.
"Measuring the liquidity effect,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
96-06, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Simon Gilchrist, 2001. "Identifying the liquidity effect at the daily frequency (commentary)," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 59-82.
- Daniel L. Thornton, 2001. "Identifying the liquidity effect at the daily frequency," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 59-82.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertola & Alessandro Prati, 2000.
"Day-to-day monetary policy and the volatility of the federal funds interest rate,"
110, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2002. "Day-to-Day Monetary Policy and the Volatility of the Federal Funds Interest Rate," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 137-59, February.
- Alessandro Prati & Giuseppe Bertola & Leonardo Bartolini, 2000. "Day-To-Day Monetary Policy and the Volatility of the Federal Funds Interest Rate," IMF Working Papers 00/206, International Monetary Fund.
- Ewerhart, Christian & Cassola, Nuno & Ejerskov, Steen & Valla, Natacha, 2003. "Optimal allotment policy in the Eurosystem's main refinancing operations," Working Paper Series 0295, European Central Bank.
- Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge & Gaspar, Vítor, 2001.
"The ECB monetary policy strategy and the money market,"
47, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Gaspar, Vitor & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge, 2001. "The ECB Monetary Policy Strategy and the Money Market," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 325-42, October.
- Gaspar, Vítor & Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Sicilia, Jorge, 2001. "The ECB monetary policy strategy and the money market," Working Paper Series 0069, European Central Bank.
- Ewerhart, Christian & Cassola, Nuno & Ejerskov, Steen & Valla, Natacha, 2004.
"Liquidity, information, and the overnight rate,"
Working Paper Series
0378, European Central Bank.
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003.
"The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What Has Changed with the EMU?,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
559.03, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Quiros, Gabriel Perez & Mendizabal, Hugo Rodriguez, 2006. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What Has Changed with the EMU?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(1), pages 91-118, February.
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003. "The daily market for funds in Europe: what has changed with the EMU," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0313, Banco de Espa�a.
- Gabriel Pérez-Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2003. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: What has Changed with the EMU?," Working Papers 22, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ewerhart, Christian, 2002. "A model of the Eurosystem's operational framework for monetary policy implementation," Working Paper Series 0197, European Central Bank.
- William Poole & Robert Rasche, 2000.
"Perfecting the Market's Knowledge of Monetary Policy,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 255-298, December.
- William Poole & Robert H. Rasche, 2000. "Perfecting the market's knowledge of monetary policy," Working Papers 2000-010, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Stracca, Livio & Ejerskov, Steen & Martin Moss, Clara, 2003. "How does the ECB allot liquidity in its weekly main refinancing operations? A look at the empirical evidence," Working Paper Series 0244, European Central Bank.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Ilian Mihov, 1998.
"The Liquidity Effect and Long-Run Neutrality,"
NBER Working Papers
6608, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Mihov, Ilian, 1998. "The liquidity effect and long-run neutrality," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 149-194, December.
- Julius Moschitz, 2004. "Monetary Policy Implementation and Volatility in the Euro Area Money Market," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 95, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Ángel León & Francis Benito & Juan Nave, 2006. "Modeling The Euro Overnight Rate," Working Papers. Serie AD 2006-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Välimäki , Tuomas, 2006. "Why the marginal MRO rate exceeds the ECB policy rate?," Research Discussion Papers 20/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Colarossi, Silvio & Zaghini, Andrea, 2007. "Gradualism, transparency and improved operational framework: A look at the overnight volatility transmission," CFS Working Paper Series 2007/16, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Benito, Francis & Leon, Angel & Nave, Juan, 2007. "Modeling the Euro overnight rate," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 756-782, December.
- Camilo GOnzález & Luisa Silva & Carmiña Vargas & Andrés Velasco, 2013. "Uncertainty in the Money supply mechanism and interbank markets in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 790, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Marius Jurgilas, 2005. "Interbank market under the currency board: Case of Lithuania," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 448, Society for Computational Economics.
- Linzert, Tobias & Schmidt, Sandra, 2008.
"What explains the spread between the euro overnight rate and the ECB's policy rate?,"
Working Paper Series
0983, European Central Bank.
- Linzert, Tobias & Schmidt, Sandra, 2007. "What Explains the Spread Between the Euro Overnight Rate and the ECB's Policy Rate?," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-076, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Egorov, Alexey & Kovalenko , Olga, 2013. "Structural features and interest-rate dynamics of Russia’s interbank lending market," BOFIT Discussion Papers 23/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Beirne, John, 2012. "The EONIA spread before and during the crisis of 2007–2009: The role of liquidity and credit risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 534-551.
- Kempa , Michal, 2006. "Money market volatility, A simulation study," Research Discussion Papers 13/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Camilo González & Luisa F. Silva & Carmiña O. Vargas & Andrés M. Velasco, 2013. "An exploration on interbank markets and the operational framework of monetary policy in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 782, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Kempa, Michal, 2007. "What determines commercial banks’ demand for reserves in the interbank market," Research Discussion Papers 30/2007, Bank of Finland.
- International Monetary Fund, 2009. "What Drives China's Interbank Market?," IMF Working Papers 09/189, International Monetary Fund.
- Nadja Kamhi, 2006. "LVTS, the Overnight Market, and Monetary Policy," Working Papers 06-15, Bank of Canada.
- Nathan Porter & TengTeng Xu, 2013. "Money Market Rates and Retail Interest Regulation in China: The Disconnect between Interbank and Retail Credit Conditions," Working Papers 13-20, Bank of Canada.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Vandenbussche & Stanley Watt & Szabolcs Blazsek, 2009. "The Liquidity and Liquidity Distribution Effects in Emerging Markets: The Case of Jordan," IMF Working Papers 09/228, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.