Does the yield spread predict recessions in the euro area?
AbstractThis paper studies the informational content of the slope of the yield curve as a predictor of recessions in the euro area. In particu-lar, the historical predictive power of ten yield spreads, for di®erent segments of the yield curve, is tested using a probit model. The yield spread between the ten-year government bond rate and the three-month interbank rate outperforms all the other spreads in predicting recessions in the euro area. The result is con¯rmed when the au-toregressive series of the state of the economy is added in the same model. The forecast accuracy of the spread between 10-year and 3-month interest rates is explored in an exercise of out-of-sample forecasting. This yield spread appears to contain information which goes beyond the information already available in the history of output, providing further evidence of the potential usefulness of this indicator for mon-etary policy purposes. JEL Classification: E44, E52, C53
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0294.
Date of creation: Dec 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2005-10-11 (Business Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2005-10-15 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-FOR-2005-10-05 (Forecasting)
- NEP-IFN-2005-10-11 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2005-10-06 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2005-10-07 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Estrella, Arturo, 1998.
"A New Measure of Fit for Equations with Dichotomous Dependent Variables,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 198-205, April.
- Arturo Estrella, 1997. "A new measure of fit for equations with dichotomous dependent variables," Research Paper 9716, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Marco Del Negro, 2001. "Turn, turn, turn: Predicting turning points in economic activity," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q2, pages 1-12.
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "An area-wide model (AWM) for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0042, European Central Bank.
- Layton, Allan P. & Katsuura, Masaki, 2001. "Comparison of regime switching, probit and logit models in dating and forecasting US business cycles," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 403-417.
- Ivan Paya & Agustín Duarte & Ioannis A. Venetis, 2004.
"Predicting Real Growth And The Probability Of Recession In The Euro Area Using The Yield Spread,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2004-31, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Duarte, Agustin & Venetis, Ioannis A. & Paya, Ivan, 2005. "Predicting real growth and the probability of recession in the Euro area using the yield spread," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 261-277.
- Gerit Vogt, 2004. "Prognose von Umsatz und Bruttowertschöpfung des verarbeitenden Gewerbes in Sachsen für das Jahr 2004 (Prognose der Bruttowertschöpfung des sächsischen verarbeitenden Gewerbes 2004)," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 11(04), pages 23-30, 08.
- Andersson, Magnus & D'Agostino, Antonello, 2008.
"Are sectoral stock prices useful for predicting euro area GDP?,"
Research Technical Papers
2/RT/08, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Andersson, Magnus & D’Agostino, Antonello, 2008. "Are sectoral stock prices useful for predicting euro area GDP?," Working Paper Series 0876, European Central Bank.
- Galvao, Ana Beatriz & Costa, Sonia, 2013. "Does the euro area forward rate provide accurate forecasts of the short rate?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 131-141.
- Vladimir Dubrovskiy & Inna Golodniuk & Janusz Szyrmer, 2009. "Composite Leading Indicators for Ukraine: An Early Warning Model," CASE Network Reports 0085, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Ferreira García, María Eva & Rubio Irigoyen, Gonzalo & Martínez, María Isabel & Navarro, Eliseo, 2005. "Consumer Confidence and Yield Spreads in Europe," DFAEII Working Papers 2005-11, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Gerit Vogt, 2009. "Konjunkturprognose in Deutschland. Ein Beitrag zur Prognose der gesamtwirtschaftlichen Entwicklung auf Bundes- und Länderebene," ifo Beiträge zur Wirtschaftsforschung, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 36.
- Ascari, Guido & Rankin, Neil, 2007.
"Perpetual youth and endogenous labor supply: A problem and a possible solution,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 708-723, December.
- Ascari, Guido & Rankin, Neil, 2004. "Perpetual youth and endogenous labour supply: a problem and a possible solution," Working Paper Series 0346, European Central Bank.
- Pederzoli, Chiara & Torricelli, Costanza, 2005. "Capital requirements and business cycle regimes: Forward-looking modelling of default probabilities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 3121-3140, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.