Aggregation and euro area Phillips curves
AbstractThis paper examines the issue of the impact of aggregation in the empirical analysis of euro area labour markets. A Phillips Curve describing the adjustment of unit labour costs is estimated at the national and aggregate level for the 5 largest euro area countries. Potential sources of aggregation bias are investigated such as differences in parameter coefficients and a lack of correlation in the independent variables across countries as well as the potentially offsetting statistical averaging effect. Finally the out-of-sample forecasting performance of both approaches is evaluated. The results point to some limited advantages of analysing wage developments at the national rather than at the area-wide level. The paper concludes that if major advantages in undertaking national analysis do exist, they are likely to arise from the ability to develop country-specific structures for the Phillips Curves and not from aggregation biases that emerge when a common structure is used. JEL Classification: C52, C53, E24, J30
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0213.
Date of creation: Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dave Turner & Elena Seghezza, 1999. "Testing for a Common OECD Phillips Curve," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 219, OECD Publishing.
- Gabriel Fagan & JÊrÆme Henry, 1998. "Long run money demand in the EU: Evidence for area-wide aggregates," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 483-506.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Mestre, Ricardo, 2000. "Alternative measures of the NAIRU in the euro area: estimates and assessment," Working Paper Series 0017, European Central Bank.
- Silvia Fabiani & Alberto Locarno & Gian Paolo Oneto & Paolo Sestito, 1997. "NAIRU: Incomes Policy and Inflation," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 187, OECD Publishing.
- Silvia Fabiani & Ricardo Mestre, 2004.
"A system approach for measuring the euro area NAIRU,"
Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 311-341, 05.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "A system approach for measuring the euro area NAIRU," Working Paper Series 0065, European Central Bank.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Fabiani-Mestre 2004 NAIRU model results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00057, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Luca Dedola & Eugenio Gaiotti & Luca Silipo, 2001.
"Money demand in the euro area: do national differences matter?,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
405, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Luca Dedola & Eugenio Gaiotti & Luca Silipo, 2004. "Money Demand in theEuroArea: Do National Differences Matter?," Macroeconomics 0404019, EconWPA, revised 24 Apr 2004.
- Ascari, Guido & Rankin, Neil, 2007.
"Perpetual youth and endogenous labor supply: A problem and a possible solution,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 708-723, December.
- Ascari, Guido & Rankin, Neil, 2004. "Perpetual youth and endogenous labour supply: a problem and a possible solution," Working Paper Series 0346, European Central Bank.
- Jansen, Eilev S., 2004.
"Modelling inflation in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
0322, European Central Bank.
- David G. Mayes & Matti Virén, 2004.
"Asymmetries in the Euro area economy,"
- De Grauwe, Paul & Senegas, Marc-Alexandre, 2006. "Monetary policy design and transmission asymmetry in EMU: Does uncertainty matter?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 787-808, December.
- Dieppe, Alistair & Henry, Jerome, 2004. "The euro area viewed as a single economy: how does it respond to shocks?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 833-875, September.
- Beissinger, Thomas, 2003. "Strukturelle Arbeitslosigkeit in Europa : eine Bestandsaufnahme (Structural unemployment in Europe * an inventory)," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 36(4), pages 411-427.
- Wolfgang Franz, 2005.
"Will the (German) NAIRU Please Stand Up?,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(2), pages 131-153, 05.
- Yesim Kustepeli, 2005. "A comprehensive short-run analysis of a (possible) Turkish Phillips curve," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(5), pages 581-591.
- Marc-Alexandre Senegas & Paul De Grauwe, 2004. "Transmission parameter uncertainty and heterogeneity in EMU: which federal monetary policy for the ECB?," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 86, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Jaan Masso & Karsten Staehr, 2005.
"Inflation Dynamics And Nominal Adjustment In The Baltic States,"
University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series
35, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Masso, Jaan & Staehr, Karsten, 2005. "Inflation dynamics and nominal adjustment in the Baltic States," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 281-303, June.
- Nicolien Schermer, 2005. "The Synchronisation of European Labour Markets: An Analysis Using Aggregate Philips Curves," DNB Working Papers 076, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Heather Anderson & Mardi Dungey & Denise Osborn & Farshid Vahid, 2007.
"Constructing Historical Euro Area Data,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
99, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Beissinger, Thomas, 2003. "Strukturelle Arbeitslosigkeit in Europa: Eine Bestandsaufnahme," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 389, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- repec:iab:iabmit:v:36:i:4:p:411-427 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.