The bank lending channel of monetary policy: identification and estimation using Portuguese micro bank data
AbstractThis paper investigates the existence of the bank-lending channel in the transmission of monetary policy using Portuguese micro bank data. In contrast to the conventional approach, which addresses the identification issue by resorting to reduced form equations for bank credit with variables in differences, we directly estimate loan-supply schedules with variables in levels, thereby exploiting recent results on cointegration for panel data. We conclude that there is evidence of the existence of a bank-lending channel, and that the importance of the bank lending-channel is larger for less capitalised banks JEL Classification: C33, E44, E52, G21
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0102.
Date of creation: Dec 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Luísa Farinha & Carlos Robalo Marques, 2002. "The bank lending channel of monetary policy: identification and estimation using Portuguese micro bank data," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 A4-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge MartÃ¬nez-PagÃ¨s & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001.
"Fynancial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro area,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
432, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge Martínez-Pagés & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Financial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro Area," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0118, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Martinéz Pagés, Jorge & Sevestre, Patrick & Worms, Andreas, 2001. "Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0105, European Central Bank.
- Sevestre, Patrick & Martinez-Pages, Jorge & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Ehrmann, Michael & Worms, Andreas, 2001. "Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2001,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Birendra Bahadur Budha, 2013. "The Bank Lending Channel of Monetary Policy in Nepal: Evidence from Bank Level Data," NRB Economic Review, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 25(2), pages 43-65, October.
- Ursel Baumann & Glenn Hoggarth & Darren Pain, 2005. "The substitution of bank for non-bank corporate finance: evidence for the United Kingdom," Bank of England working papers 274, Bank of England.
- Birendra Bahadur Budha, 2013. "The Bank Lending Channel of Monetary Policy of Nepal: Evidence from Bank Level," NRB Working Paper 17/2013, Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department.
- Kaufmann, Sylvia, 2001.
"Asymmetries in bank lending behaviour. Austria during the 1990s,"
Working Paper Series
0097, European Central Bank.
- Sylvia Kaufmann, 2002. "Asymmetries in Bank Lending Behaviour. - Austria During the 1990s," Working Papers 56, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00119489 is not listed on IDEAS
- Petya Koeva Brooks, 2007. "The Bank Lending Channel of Monetary Transmission," IMF Working Papers 07/272, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00119489 is not listed on IDEAS
- M. Lopreite, 2012. "Securitization and monetary transmission mechanism: evidence from italy (1999-2009)," Economics Department Working Papers 2012-EP04, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Gupta, Abhay, 2004. "Comparing Bank Lending Channel in India and Pakistan," MPRA Paper 9281, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-Bernard Chatelain & Michael Ehrmann & Andrea Generale & Jorge Martínez-Pagés & Philip Vermeulen & Andreas Worms, 2003.
"Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro Area: New Evidence From Micro Data on Firms and Banks,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(2-3), pages 731-742, 04/05.
- Mojon, Benoît & Kashyap, Anil K. & Angeloni, Ignazio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 2002. "Monetary Transmission in the Euro Area : Where Do We Stand?," Working Paper Series 0114, European Central Bank.
- Diana Bonfim & Carla Soares, 2013. "Is there a risk-taking channel of monetary policy in Portugal?," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Andreas Worms, 2003. "Interbank Relationships and the Credit Channel in Germany," Empirica, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 179-198, June.
- Abdul Karim, Zulkefly & Wan Ngah, Wan Azman Saini & Abdul Karim, Bakri, 2010. "Bank lending channel of monetary policy: dynamic panel data evidence from Malaysia," MPRA Paper 26157, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Konstantins Benkovskis, 2008. "Is there a Bank Lending Channel of Monetary Policy in Latvia? Evidence from Bank Level Data," Working Papers 2008/01, Latvijas Banka.
- Golodniuk, Inna, 2006. "Evidence on the bank-lending channel in Ukraine," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 180-199, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.