Business cycle and monetary policy analysis in a structural sticky-price model of the euro area
AbstractStructural models are a powerful tool for business cycle and monetary policy analysis because they are invariant to either policy changes or external shocks. In this paper, we derive a Sidrauski-type model in which both the demand and supply side are structural in the sense that the behavioral equations obtained are rigorously calculated from optimizing decisions of the individuals. Moreover, we introduce price stickiness on the supply side decisions so as to have relevant short-run real effects of monetary policy through the real interest rate channel. The resulting medium-size model will be calibrated and estimated for the euro area, some simulations on business cycle and monetary policy analysis will be carried out. JEL Classification: E20, E32, E52
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 0049.
Date of creation: Mar 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Miguel Casares, 2001. "Business Cycle and Monetary Policy Analysis in a Structural Sticky- Price Model of The Euro Area," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 0109, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- E20 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Kerr & Robert G. King, 1996. "Limits on interest rate rules in the IS model," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 47-75.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Raf, 2002.
"Openness, imperfect exchange rate pass-through and monetary policy,"
Working Paper Series
0128, European Central Bank.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Raf, 2002. "Openness, imperfect exchange rate pass-through and monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 947-981, July.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002. "Openness, imperfect exchange rate pass-through and monetary policy," Working Paper Research 19, National Bank of Belgium.
- Juan Paez-Farrell, 2003. "Monetary Policy and Business Cycle Analysis in an Optimising Model with Expectations Lags," Macroeconomics 0312002, EconWPA.
- Sandra Gomes, 2004. "Monetary Policy in a Currency Union with National Price Asymmetries," Working Papers w200416, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Francesco Lippi & Stefano Neri, 2004.
"Information variables for monetary policy in a small structural model of the euro area,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
511, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Lippi, Francesco & Neri, Stefano, 2003. "Information Variables for Monetary Policy in a Small Structural Model of the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 4125, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Raf, 2002. "An estimated stochastic dynamic general equilibrium model of the euro area," Working Paper Series 0171, European Central Bank.
- Francesco Lippi & Stefano Neri, 2004. "Information variables for monetary policy in a small structural model," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 120, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Dorofeenko, Viktor & Lee, Gabriel S. & Salyer, Kevin D., 2005. "Agency Costs and Investment Behavior," Economics Series 182, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002. "Monetary policy in an estimated stochastic dynamic general equilibrium model of the Euro area," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Juan Paez-Farrell, 2003. "The New Keynesian Phillips Curve: Some Counterfactual Evidence," Macroeconomics 0312003, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.