External competitiveness of EU candidate countries
AbstractAs the current financial crisis has shown, macroeconomic imbalances such as persistent current account and trade deficits, can seriously undermine a country’s resilience to economic shocks. Maintaining and enhancing external competitiveness has thus become of increasing concern, particularly to European Union (EU) candidate countries whose economic growth models have been challenged in recent years. Drawing on previous studies, this paper assesses developments in the external competitiveness of EU candidate countries between 1999 and 2011. Taking a broad approach to the issue of competitiveness, the paper considers various indicators of both short and long-term competitiveness, including those related to domestic prices and costs, export performance, and institutional and structural issues. In the context of EU integration, comparisons are drawn with developments in the EU12. We find that, during the pre-crisis period, all candidate countries experienced robust export market growth, but also suffered losses in price and cost competitiveness. In terms of export characteristics, progress has been heterogeneous and also fairly slow when compared with the EU12. All candidate countries have increased their number of export products and trading partners, but only a few have been able to export more complex products. As regards structural issues such as corruption and bureaucratic efficiency, all countries have performed quite poorly with the exception of Iceland. JEL Classification: H3, H6, E6, G1
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Occasional Paper Series with number 141.
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H3 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents
- H6 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2013-03-23 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EEC-2013-03-23 (European Economics)
- NEP-INT-2013-03-23 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2013-03-23 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Silgoner, Maria & Steiner, Katharina & Wörz, Julia & Schitter, Christian, 2013.
"Fishing in the same pool? export strengths and competitiveness of China and CESEE in the EU-15 Market,"
Working Paper Series
1559, European Central Bank.
- Christian Schitter & Maria Silgoner & Katharina Steiner & Julia Wörz, 2012. "Fishing in the same pool: Export strengths and competitiveness of China and CESEE at the EU-15 Market," FIW Working Paper series 096, FIW.
- Sabine Herrmann & Adalbert Winkler, 2009.
"Financial markets and the current account: emerging Europe versus emerging Asia,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 531-550, October.
- Herrmann, Sabine & Winkler, Adalbert, 2008. "Financial markets and the current account: emerging Europe versus emerging Asia," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2008,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Bellak, Christian & Leibrecht, Markus & Riedl, Aleksandra, 2008. "Labour costs and FDI flows into Central and Eastern European Countries: A survey of the literature and empirical evidence," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 17-37, March.
- Jaewoo Lee & Jonathan David Ostry & Alessandro Prati & Luca Antonio Ricci & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2008. "Exchange Rate Assessments," IMF Occasional Papers 261, International Monetary Fund.
- Sabine Herrmann & Adalbert Winkler, 2008.
"Real convergence, financial markets, and the current account – Emerging Europe versus emerging Asia,"
Occasional Paper Series
88, European Central Bank.
- Herrmann, Sabine & Winkler, Adalbert, 2009. "Real convergence, financial markets, and the current account - Emerging Europe versus emerging Asia," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 100-123, August.
- Sabine Herrmann & Adalbert Winkler, 2009. "Real convergence, financial markets, and the current account - Emerging Europe versus emerging Asia," European Economy - Economic Papers 362, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Peter Backé & Christian Thimann & Olga Arratibel & Oscar Calvo-Gonzalez & Arnaud Mehl & Carolin Nerlich, 2004. "The acceding countries’ strategies towards ERM II and the adoption of the euro - an analytical review," Occasional Paper Series 10, European Central Bank.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2008.
"Specialization across varieties and North-South competition,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 23, pages 51-91, 01.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2007. "Specialisation across Varieties within Products and North-South Competition," Working Papers 2007-06, CEPII research center.
- Besedes, Tibor & Prusa, Thomas J., 2011.
"The role of extensive and intensive margins and export growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 371-379, November.
- Tibor Besedes & Thomas J. Prusa, 2007. "The Role of Extensive and Intensive Margins and Export Growth," NBER Working Papers 13628, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zsolt Darvas & Gy�rgy Szap�ry, 2008.
"Euro Area Enlargement and Euro Adoption Strategies,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
304, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Zsolt Darvas & Gyorgy Szapary, 2008. "Euro Area Enlargement and Euro Adoption Strategies," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0824, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Zsolt Darvas & György Szapáry, 2008. "Euro Area Enlargement and Euro Adoption Strategies," Working Papers 0801, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Michael Peneder, 2007. "A sectoral taxonomy of educational intensity," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 189-212, July.
- José Manuel Martins Caetano & Aurora Galego, 2006. "In Search for Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade within an Enlarged Europe," Economics Working Papers 2_2006, University of Évora, Department of Economics (Portugal).
- Amurgo-Pacheco, Alberto & Pierola, Martha Denisse, 2008.
"Patterns of export diversification in developing countries : intensive and extensive margins,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4473, The World Bank.
- Alberto Amurgo-Pacheco, Martha Denisse Pierola, 2007. "Patterns of export diversification in developing countries: intensive and extensive margins," IHEID Working Papers 20-2007, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised Jul 2007.
- Magdalena Morgese Borys & Éva Katalin Polgár & Andrei Zlate, 2008. "Real convergence and the determinants of growth in EU candidate and potential candidate countries - a panel data approach," Occasional Paper Series 86, European Central Bank.
- Demekas, Dimitri G. & Horvath, Balazs & Ribakova, Elina & Wu, Yi, 2007. "Foreign direct investment in European transition economies--The role of policies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 369-386, June.
- Hubert Janicki & Phanindra Wunnava, 2004. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: empirical evidence from EU accession candidates," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 505-509.
- Mladen Vedris, 2013. "The Republic Of Croatia Before Its Entry Into The Eu: Expectations And Limits," Interdisciplinary Management Research, Faculty of Economics in Osijek, Croatia, vol. 9, pages 415-434.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.