Competitiveness and the export performance of the euro area
AbstractChapter 1 provides an overview and assessment of the price competitiveness and export performance of the euro area and the larger euro area countries, as well as an evaluation of how standard equations have been able to explain actual export developments. Chapter 2 carries out a constant market share analysis for the euro area and thereby sheds light on the reasons for movements in aggregate export market shares by looking at the sectoral and geographical composition of euro area exports. Chapter 3 looks at the evolution of the technological competitiveness of the euro area and major competitors – proxied by patenting activity and R&D expenditure – and analyses some structural indicators of competitiveness using survey data. Chapter 4 then looks at the impact of FDI on competitiveness and export performance. Finally, Chapter 5 summarises the main findings of the report, but also critically evaluates their importance and implications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Occasional Paper Series with number 30.
Length: 98 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Frederick L. Joutz & Stephan Danninger, 2007.
"What Explains Germany's Rebounding Export Market Share?,"
IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund
07/24, International Monetary Fund.
- Stephan Danninger & Fred Joutz, 2008. "What Explains Germany's Rebounding Export Market Share?," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, CESifo, vol. 54(4), pages 681-714, December.
- Stephan Danninger & Fred Joutz, 2007. "What Explains Germany’s Rebounding Export Market Share?," CESifo Working Paper Series, CESifo Group Munich 1957, CESifo Group Munich.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Ioanna C. Bardaka, 2008. "Price and Non - Price Competitiveness of Exports of Manufactures," Working Papers, Bank of Greece 69, Bank of Greece.
- Jochem, Axel, 2008.
"International financial competitiveness and incentives to foreign direct investment,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre
2008,29, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Axel Jochem, 2010. "International Financial Competitiveness and Incentives to Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(1), pages 42-58, February.
- Holger Zemanek & Ansgar Belke & Gunther Schnabl, 2009.
"Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
895, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Holger Zemanek & Ansgar Belke & Gunther Schnabl, 2009. "Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness," CESifo Working Paper Series, CESifo Group Munich 2639, CESifo Group Munich.
- Zemanek, Holger & Belke, Ansgar & Schnabl, Gunther, 2009. "Current Account Imbalances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area: How to Rebalance Competitiveness," IZA Policy Papers, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) 7, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- George A. Zombanakis & Constantinos Stylianou & Andreas S. Andreou, 2009. "The Greek Current Account Deficit:Is it Sustainable after all?," Working Papers, Bank of Greece 98, Bank of Greece.
- Gaiotti, Eugenio, 2008.
"Has globalisation changed the Phillips curve? Firm-level evidence on the effect of activity on prices,"
8389, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eugenio Gaiotti, 2008. "Has globalisation changed the Phillips curve? Firm-level evidence on the effect of activity on prices," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers), Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area 676, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Holger Zemanek & Ansgar Belke & Gunther Schnabl, 2010.
"Current account balances and structural adjustment in the euro area,"
International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer,
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 83-127, May.
- Ansgar Belke & Holger Zemanek & Gunther Schnabl, 2010. "Current Account Balances and Structural Adjustment in the Euro Area," Ruhr Economic Papers, Rheinisch-WestfÃ¤lisches Institut fÃ¼r Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-UniversitÃ¤t Bochum, UniversitÃ¤t Dortmund, UniversitÃ¤t Duisburg-Essen 0176, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Benjamin R. Mandel, 2012. "Why is the U.S. share of world merchandise exports shrinking?," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 18(Feb).
- Ca' Zorzi, Michele & Schnatz, Bernd, 2007. "Explaining and forecasting euro area exports: which competitiveness indicator performs best?," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 0833, European Central Bank.
- Raphaël Chiappini, 2010. "Dynamique des spécialisations et performances commerciales des pays d'Europe centrale et orientale (PECO)," Working Papers, HAL hal-00637591, HAL.
- Sebastian Gundel, 2008. "Declining german export prices due to increased competition from newly industrializing countries - evidence from germany and the ceecs," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(1), pages 3-22.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.