Optimal rank-based testing for principal component
AbstractThis paper provides parametric and rank-based optimal tests for eigenvectors and eigenvalues of covariance or scatter matrices in elliptical families. The parametric tests extend the Gaussian likelihood ratio tests of Anderson (1963) and their pseudo-Gaussian robustifications by Tyler (1981, 1983) and Davis (1977), with which their Gaussian versions are shown to coincide,symptotically, under Gaussian or finite fourth-order moment assumptions, respectively. Such assumptions however restrict the scope to covariance-based principal component analysis. The rank-based tests we are proposing remain valid without such assumptions. Hence, they address a much broader class of problems, where covariance matrices need not exist and principal components are associated with more general scatter matrices. Asymptotic relative efficiencies moreover show that those rank-based tests are quite powerful; when based on van der Waerden or normal scores, they even uniformly dominate the pseudo-Gaussian versions of Anderson’s procedures. The tests we are proposing thus outperform daily practice both from the point of view of validity as from the point of view of efficiency. The main methodological tool throughout is Le Cam’s theory of locally asymptotically normal experiments, in the nonstandard context, however, of a curved parametrization. The results we derive for curved experiments are of independent interest,and likely to apply in other setups.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series Working Papers ECARES with number 2009_013.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by: ECARES
Principal components; Tests for eigenvectors;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Hallin & Madan L. Puri, 1994. "Aligned rank tests for linear models with autocorrelated errors," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2045, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Paindaveine, Davy, 2006. "A Chernoff-Savage result for shape:On the non-admissibility of pseudo-Gaussian methods," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(10), pages 2206-2220, November.
- Paindaveine, Davy, 2008. "A canonical definition of shape," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(14), pages 2240-2247, October.
- Hallin, Marc & Paindaveine, Davy, 2009. "Optimal tests for homogeneity of covariance, scale, and shape," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 422-444, March.
- Hallin, M. & Werker, B.J.M., 2003.
"Semiparametric efficiency, distribution-freeness and invariance,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-117062, Tilburg University.
- Marc Hallin & Bas Werker, 2003. "Semiparametric efficiency, distribution-freeness, and invariance," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2119, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kollo, T. & Neudecker, H., 1993. "Asymptotics of Eigenvalues and Unit-Length Eigenvectors of Sample Variance and Correlation Matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 283-300, November.
- Hallin, Marc & Paindaveine, Davy, 2005. "Affine-invariant aligned rank tests for the multivariate general linear model with VARMA errors," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 122-163, March.
- Yanagihara, Hirokazu & Tonda, Tetsuji & Matsumoto, Chieko, 2005. "The effects of nonnormality on asymptotic distributions of some likelihood ratio criteria for testing covariance structures under normal assumption," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 237-264, October.
- Hallin, M. & Akker, R. van den & Werker, B.J.M., 2012.
"Rank-based Tests of the Cointegrating Rank in Semiparametric Error Correction Models,"
2012-089, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Marc Hallin & Ramon van den Akker & Bas Werker, 2012. "Rank-Based Tests of the Cointegrating Rank in Semiparametric Error Correction Models," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2012-042, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Davy Paindaveine & Thomas Verdebout, 2011. "Rank Tests for Elliptical Graphical Modeling," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2011-039, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marc Hallin & Davy Paindaveine & Thomas Verdebout, 2011. "Optimal Rank-Based Tests for Common Principal Components," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2011-032, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.