Pricing of real estate specific market risks for worldwide 66 countries
AbstractI address the construction of hurdle rates for 66 countries that adequately compensate investors for the real estate specific market risks involved when investing, operating and exiting a foreign market. To estimate the market-based framework, I run random effect panel regressions for a period of six years from 2004-2009 of IPD direct property market returns and an integral and newly developed composite index that takes into account all real estate market and investment specific conditions. The regression results provide direct evidence that an increased perception of risk and instability in the countries' socio-economic conditions and institutional frameworks significantly imply higher investors' return expectations. Finally, the results provide international investors with an absolute hurdle rate that prices risks and opportunities of national real estate markets and guides investors in selecting a core, value-add, or opportunistic investment strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IESE Business School in its series IESE Research Papers with number D/940.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 05 Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Hurdle Rate; Country Risk; Real Estate Investments; International Asset Allocation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- P25 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Urban, Rural, and Regional Economics
- P52 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Studies of Particular Economies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Falkenbach Heidi, 2009. "Market Selection for International Real Estate Investments," International Journal of Strategic Property Management, De Gruyter Open, De Gruyter Open, vol. 13(4), pages 299-308, December.
- Daniel Hoechle, 2007. "Robust standard errors for panel regressions with cross-sectional dependence," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(3), pages 281-312, September.
- Tom G. Geurts & Austin J. Jaffe, 1996. "Risk and Real Estate Investment: An International Perspective," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(2), pages 117-130.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Jimenez).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.