Shareholder value creation of microsoft and GE
AbstractIn this paper, we define and analyze shareholder value creation. To help us understand this concept better, we use the example of two listed companies, General Electric and Microsoft, between 1992 and 2003. To obtain the created shareholder value, we first define the increase of equity market value, shareholder value added, shareholder return, and required return to equity. A company creates value for shareholders when the shareholder return exceeds the required return to equity (Ke). In other words, a company creates value when it outperforms expectations. Created shareholder value is quantified as follows: Created shareholder value = Equity market value x (Shareholder return - Ke) Created shareholder value can also be calculated as follows: Created shareholder value = Shareholder value added - (Equity market value x Ke). We also calculate the created shareholder value of 400 American companies during the eleven-year period 1992-2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IESE Business School in its series IESE Research Papers with number D/564.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 02 Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Value creation; Shareholder value added;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2004-09-30 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2004-09-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2004-09-30 (Corporate Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Jimenez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.