Complementarity in the innovation strategy: Internal R&D, external technology acquisition, and cooperation in R&D
AbstractSuccessful innovation depends on the development and integration of new knowledge in the innovation process. In order to successfully innovate, the firm will combine different innovation activities. In addition to doing own research and development, firms typically are engaged in the acquisition of knowledge on the technology market and cooperate actively in R&D with other firms and research organizations. In this paper we show that there exist important complementarities between the different innovation activities. We test complementarity between the innovation activities both directly, through the productivity approach, and indirectly, through the adoption approach. Using data from the Community Innovation Survey on Belgian manufacturing firms, we show that firms that are only engaged in a single innovation strategy, either internal R&D activities or sourcing technology externally, introduced fewer new and substantially improved products compared to firms which combine internal and external sourcing. This result is consistent with complementarity between own R&D and external technology sourcing activities. In the adoption approach we show that the different innovation activities are strongly positively correlated and identify common drivers, resulting in the perceived complementarity between these innovation activities. An important finding is that a more basic R&D base which may serve as an absorptive capacity and a capacity to strategically protect intellectual property are important common drivers for the different innovation activities
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IESE Business School in its series IESE Research Papers with number D/457.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2002
Date of revision:
Management; Innovation strategy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M10 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-06-13 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno Cassiman & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2002.
"R&D Cooperation and Spillovers: Some Empirical Evidence from Belgium,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1169-1184, September.
- Cassiman, Bruno & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2002. "R&D cooperation and spillovers: Some empirical evidence from Belgium," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101382, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Oxley, Joanne E, 1997. "Appropriability Hazards and Governance in Strategic Alliances: A Transaction Cost Approach," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 387-409, October.
- Miravete, Eugenio J. & Pernias, Jose C., 1998.
"Innovation Complementarity and Scale of Production,"
98-42, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Miravete, Eugenio J & Pernias, Jose C, 2004. "Innovation Complimentarity and Scale of Production," CEPR Discussion Papers 4483, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Renault, Eric & Trognon, Alain, 1987. "Generalised residuals," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 5-32.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1990. "Complementarity and External Linkages: The Strategies of the Large Firms in Biotechnology," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 361-79, June.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1997.
"Internal R&D expenditures and external technology sourcing,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/101584, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1997. "Internal R & D expenditures and external technology sourcing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 303-315, October.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1995. "Complementarities and fit strategy, structure, and organizational change in manufacturing," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 179-208, April.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Cassiman, Bruno, 1999.
"Make and buy in innovation strategies: evidence from Belgian manufacturing firms,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Cassiman, Bruno, 1999. "Make and buy in innovation strategies: evidence from Belgian manufacturing firms," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101500, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1994. "Evaluating technological information and utilizing it : Scientific knowledge, technological capability, and external linkages in biotechnology," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 91-114, June.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj, 1995. "Competitive Advantage and Internal Organization: Nucor Revisited," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(4), pages 685-717, Winter.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "The Economics of Modern Manufacturing: Technology, Strategy, and Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 511-28, June.
- Susan Athey & Scott Stern, 1998. "An Empirical Framework for Testing Theories About Complimentarity in Organizational Design," NBER Working Papers 6600, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Granstrand, Ove & Sjolander, Soren, 1990. "The acquisition of technology and small firms by large firms," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 367-386, June.
- Ichniowski, Casey & Shaw, Kathryn & Prennushi, Giovanna, 1997. "The Effects of Human Resource Management Practices on Productivity: A Study of Steel Finishing Lines," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 291-313, June.
- Granstrand, Ove & Sjölander, Sören, 1990. "The Acquisition of Technology and Small Firms by Large Firms," Working Paper Series 213, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Goyal, S. & Konovalov, A. & Moraga-Gonzalez, J.L., 2003.
Econometric Institute Report
EI 2003-34, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Alexander Konovalov & Jose Luis Moraga-Gonzalez, 2003. "Hybrid R&D," Economics Discussion Papers 564, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Alexander Konovalov & Jose Luis Moraga, 2003. "Hybrid R&D," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-041/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Mohnen,Pierre & Roeller,Lars-Hendrik, 2003.
"Complementarities in Innovation Policy,"
025, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrick Röller, 2003. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-60, CIRANO.
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrick Röller, 2001. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-28, CIRANO.
- Pierre Mohnen & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2000. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CIG Working Papers FS IV 00-18, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Mohnen, Pierre & Röller, Lars-Hendrik, 2001. "Complementarities in Innovation Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2712, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lokshin, B & Carree, M & Belderbos, Rene, 2007. "Testing for complementarity and substitutability in the case of multiple practices," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/120461, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Kuhne, Bianka & Gellynck, Xavier & Vermeire, Bert & Molnar, Adrienn, 2007. "Barriers and Drivers of Innovation in Traditional Food Networks," 2007 1st Forum, February 15-17, 2007, Innsbruck, Austria 6617, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Gellynck, Xavier & Kuhne, Bianka, 2008. "Innovation in Traditional Food Networks," 110th Seminar, February 18-22, 2008, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 49847, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Liza Jabbour & Maria Pluvia Zuniga, . "Drivers of the Offshore Outsourcing of R&D: Empirical Evidence from French Manufacturers," Discussion Papers 09/04, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Vermeire, Bert & Gellynck, Xavier, 2007. "Contribution of Cluster Relations to Food Competitiveness in the EU," 2007 1st Forum, February 15-17, 2007, Innsbruck, Austria 6583, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Jimenez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.