Convertible bonds in Spain: A different security
AbstractSpanish convertible bonds are different from American convertible bonds. First, the conversion price is not fixed in pesetas, but is defined as a percentage discount off the average share price over a number of days before conversion. Second, the conversion option can be exercised at only a few (usually two or three) different dates. Third, the first conversion opportunity is usually only two or three months after the subscription (issue) date. In the period 1984 to 1990, 248 issues of convertibles accounted for 1.9 trillion pesetas. In this period, companies issued more convertibles than new shares (1.4 trillion pesetas). Several formulas for valuing Spanish convertible bonds are derived using option theory. Convertibles have been undervalued by an average of 21.6% on average. The expropriation effect in the period 1984 to 1990 amounts to 125 billion pesetas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IESE Business School in its series IESE Research Papers with number D/311.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 15 Mar 1996
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G39 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Other
- M10 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geske, Robert, 1977. "The Valuation of Corporate Liabilities as Compound Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 541-552, November.
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, H. E., 1984. "The Valuation of Corporate Liabilities as Compound Options: A Correction," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 231-232, June.
- Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr, 1977. "An Examination of Corporate Call Policies on Convertible Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 463-78, May.
- Emanuel, David C., 1983. "Warrant valuation and exercise strategy," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 211-235, August.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Black, Fischer & Cox, John C, 1976. "Valuing Corporate Securities: Some Effects of Bond Indenture Provisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 351-67, May.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1980. "Analyzing Convertible Bonds," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 907-929, November.
- Galai, Dan & Schneller, Meir I, 1978. "Pricing of Warrants and the Value of the Firm," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 33(5), pages 1333-42, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Jimenez).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.