The reference to "alternative" standards by French Large groups: an empirical study over the period 1985/1999
AbstractFrench groups have the possibility to refer to International or American standards for their consolidation. The objective of this research paper is to focus on the choice made by the French 100 largest companies during the last fifteen years (1985-1999). In practice, apart from the French rules, three "alternative" references are found: IAS standards, "international principles" and US GAAP. The percentage of companies referring to alternative standards increased, in the first part of the period, and then decreased. Additionally, the proportion of French companies referring to US standards declined at the beginning of the period but started to rise in 1995. These phenomena are partly in opposition to the evolution of international accounting harmonization.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HEC Paris in its series Les Cahiers de Recherche with number 762.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 18 Apr 2002
Date of revision:
France; Set of accounting standards; IASC; US GAAP; Consolidation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashbaugh, Hollis, 2001. "Non-US Firms' Accounting Standard Choices," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 129-153.
- Ball, Ray & Kothari, S. P. & Robin, Ashok, 2000. "The effect of international institutional factors on properties of accounting earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-51, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.