A Spatial and Temporal Autoregressive Local Estimation for the Paris Housing Market
AbstractThis original study examines the potential of a spatiotemporal autoregressive Local (LSTAR) approach in modelling transaction prices for the housing market in inner Paris. We use a data set from the Paris Region notary office (“Chambre des notaires d’Île-de-France”) which consists of approximately 250,000 transactions units between the first quarter of 1990 and the end of 2005. We use the exact X -- Y coordinates and transaction date to spatially and temporally sort each transaction. We first choose to use the spatiotemporal autoregressive (STAR) approach proposed by Pace, Barry, Clapp and Rodriguez (1998). This method incorporates a spatiotemporal filtering process into the conventional hedonic function and attempts to correct for spatial and temporal correlative effects. We find significant estimates of spatial dependence effects. Moreover, using an original methodology, we find evidence of a strong presence of both spatial and temporal heterogeneity in the model. It suggests that spatial and temporal drifts in households socio-economic profiles and local housing market structure effects are certainly major determinants of the price level for the Paris Housing Market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School in its series ESSEC Working Papers with number DR 09004.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Hedonic Prices; Heterogeneity; Paris Housing Market; STAR Model;
Other versions of this item:
- Ingrid Nappi‐Choulet & Tristan‐Pierre Maury, 2011. "A Spatial And Temporal Autoregressive Local Estimation For The Paris Housing Market," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 732-750, October.
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- R33 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Nonagricultural and Nonresidential Real Estate Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-09-11 (Econometrics)
- NEP-GEO-2009-09-11 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2009-09-11 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelley Pace, R. & Barry, Ronald, 1997. "Sparse spatial autoregressions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 291-297, May.
- Bourassa, Steven C. & Hamelink, Foort & Hoesli, Martin & MacGregor, Bryan D., 1999. "Defining Housing Submarkets," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 160-183, June.
- Pace, R Kelley, et al, 1998. "Spatiotemporal Autoregressive Models of Neighborhood Effects," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 15-33, July.
- Alan E. Gelfand & Mark D. Ecker & John R. Knight & C. F. Sirmans, 2004. "The Dynamics of Location in Home Price," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 149-166, 09.
- Steven C. BOURASSA & Martin HOESLI & Vincent S. PENG, 2002.
"Do Housing Submarkets Really Matter?,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp58, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- R. Kelley Pace & Otis W. Gilley, 1998. "Generalizing the OLS and Grid Estimators," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 331-347.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "HAC estimation in a spatial framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 131-154, September.
- Basu, Sabyasachi & Thibodeau, Thomas G, 1998. "Analysis of Spatial Autocorrelation in House Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 61-85, July.
- Clapp, John M & Rodriguez, Mauricio, 1999. "Erratum: Spatiotemporal Autoregressive Models of Neighborhood Effects," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 85, July.
- Benchimol, Jonathan & Fourçans, André, 2010.
"Money and Risk Aversion in a DSGE Framework: A Bayesian Application to the Euro Zone,"
ESSEC Working Papers
DR 10005, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Benchimol, Jonathan & Fourçans, André, 2012. "Money and risk in a DSGE framework: A Bayesian application to the Eurozone," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 95-111.
- Jonathan Benchimol & André Fourçans, 2010. "Money and risk aversion in a DSGE framework : a bayesian application to the euro zone," Post-Print hal-00572374, HAL.
- André Fourçans & Jonathan Benchimol, 2009. "Money in a DSGE framework with an application to the Euro Zone," Post-Print hal-00553495, HAL.
- Benchimol, Jonathan & Fourçans, André, 2009. "Money in a DSGE framework with an application to the Euro Zone," ESSEC Working Papers DR 09005, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Jonathan Benchimol & André Fourçans, 2010. "Money and risk aversion in a DSGE framework: a Bayesian application to the Euro zone," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00800082, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sophie Magnanou).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.