Does cultural diversity help or hinder entrepreneurs? Evidence from eastern Europe and central Asia
AbstractThis paper studies the effect of religious and linguistic diversity in a given locality on individual entrepreneurial behaviour, and finds that cultural diversity and entrepreneurship follow an inverted U-shaped pattern. We make three theoretical contributions. Unlike previous research, we are able to analyse both the attempt to establish an entrepreneurial business (‘entrepreneurial trial’) and success of entrepreneurs. Moreover, we argue that the two types of diversity matter at different stages of entrepreneurship – religious diversity is tightly linked to entrepreneurial trial, while linguistic heterogeneity affects entrepreneurial success. In addition, by identifying a non-linear relationship between diversity and entrepreneurship, we put into perspective previous research that is divided on whether cultural heterogeneity positively or negatively affects firm, regional and country performance. We use a new survey data set that covers more than 30,000 households in eastern Europe and central Asia (the Life in Transition Survey 2010).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist in its series Working Papers with number 158.
Length: 55 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Working papers 158, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Contact details of provider:
Postal: One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN
Web page: http://www.ebrd.com/pages/research/publications/workingpapers.shtml
More information through EDIRC
entrepreneurship; transition region; diversity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- P31 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Socialist Enterprises and Their Transitions
- Z12 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Religion
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2013-10-11 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2013-10-11 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CUL-2013-10-11 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-CWA-2013-10-11 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-ENT-2013-10-11 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-TRA-2013-10-11 (Transition Economics)
- NEP-URE-2013-10-11 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Lucas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.