Recent Developments of Higher Education in Indonesia : Issues and Challenges
AbstractDuring the last decades, Indonesia has witnessed a rapid expansion in higher education sector. However, a centralized education system had resulted internal inefficiency, poor initiatives-particularly in research and lack of public accountability in many Indonesia universities. Facing these issues, the government of Indonesia launched a new long term vision and reform covering all higher education institutions (both public and private HEIs). This paper, moreover, aims to outline the main characteristics of the higher education sector in Indonesia and reviews major policy developments. The paper will discuss issues and challenges in the development of higher education in Indonesia, particularly in financing of higher education, accessibility, and the development of research capacities. The reform results considerable challenges for HEIs, particularly in financial matters, though it also offers opportunities in the context of independency and autonomy. After a decade of reform, Indonesias universities still seek the best format and practices for facing a challenging future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series EABER Working Papers with number 21949.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
higher education; Indonesia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I22 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Educational Finance; Financial Aid
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education; Research Institutions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohamad Fahmi, 2007. "Indonesian Higher Education: The Chronicle, Recent Development and The New Legal Entity Universities," Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS) 200710, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Oct 2007.
- Jim Davies, .
"Empirical Evidence on Human Capital Externalities,"
Working Papers-Department of Finance Canada
2003-11, Department of Finance Canada.
- Jim Davies, 2003. "Empirical Evidence on Human Capital Externalities," University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute Working Papers 20035, University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.