EU-Asia Free Trade Areas? Economic and Policy Considerations
AbstractIn this paper, we analyzed key aspects of the changing economic relationship between the European Union (EU) and Asia, and explored the potential economic ramifications of deeper EU-Asian economic cooperation. We also investigated the possible costs to the EU of remaining â€œdisengagedâ€ from the Asian integration process and the likely impact of multi-nested EU-Asian trade agreements. Our empirical review of CGE models revealed trivial effects of several possible EU-Asian accords (e.g., EU-India, EU-ASEAN, EU-Republic of Korea). In part, this is a result of relatively small trade shares, open markets, and restrictions in the models, particularly in that they excluded behind-the-border effects. We also presented two CGE models that estimated the potential negative effects of Asian/Asia-Pacific regional accords on the EU, and likewise found small effects. Nevertheless, using a highly-disaggregated (partial-equilibrium) approach, we argued that high-quality FTAs in Asia could be quite detrimental to the EU, particularly in key sectors. The push toward a Free Trade Area of the Asia Pacific could be particularly worrisome to the EU. We therefore concluded that it makes sense for the EU to be more aggressive in pursuing prospective trade agreements with Asia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Trade Working Papers with number 23282.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
economic relationship; the European Union (EU) and Asia; Asian integration; EU-Asian trade agreements; CGE model; (partial-equilibrium approach; FTA;
Other versions of this item:
- Michael G. Plummer, 2010. "EU-Asia Free Trade Areas? Economic and Policy Considerations," Trade Working Papers 23125, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Plummer, Michael G., 2010. "EU-Asia Free Trade Areas? Economic and Policy Considerations," ADBI Working Papers 255, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Michael G. Plummer, 2010. "EU-Asia Free Trade Areas? Economic and Policy Considerations," Governance Working Papers 23282, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael G Plummer & Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2007. "Integration Strategies for ASEAN: Alone, Together, or Together with Neighbors," Economics Study Area Working Papers 92, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.