Trade Logistics and Regional Integration in Latin America and the Caribbean
AbstractDuring the past few decades, the landscape of the world economy has changed. New trade patterns reflect the globalization of the supply chain and intra-industry trade, and increasing flows between neighboring countries and trading blocs with similar factor endowments. Similarly, the approach to production, trade, and transportation has evolved incorporating freight logistics as an important value-added service in global production. This integrated approach have become essential, and as such, both the trade agenda and freight logistics are beginning to converge providing an unparalleled opportunity for countries to deepen their integration with neighboring countries and their national performance in transport related services. Consequently, developing countries are finding themselves hard-pressed to adjust their policy agendas to take into account costs not covered in past rounds of trade negotiations. This paper focuses on the importance of freight logistics in trade facilitation measures, examines the transport and logistics cost in international trade, addresses logistics performance in Latin America and the Caribbean and regional initiatives to advance the integration process and finally, exchanges views on the potential for trade logistics to impact the regional agenda and to deepen integration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Trade Working Papers with number 22752.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
logistics; trade facilitation; freight; Latin America; Caribbean;
Other versions of this item:
- Guerrero, Pablo & Lucenti, Krista & Galarza, Sebastián, 2010. "Trade Logistics and Regional Integration in Latin America and the Caribbean," ADBI Working Papers, Asian Development Bank Institute 233, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raymond Robertson & Antoni Estevadeordal., 2009. "Gravity, Bilateral Agreements, and Trade Diversion in the Americas," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 46(133), pages 3-33.
- Lederman, Daniel & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Soloaga, Isidro, 2007. "The growth of China and India in world trade : opportunity or threat for Latin America and the Caribbean?," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 4320, The World Bank.
- Wilson,John S. & Mann, Catherine L. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro, 2003. "Trade facilitation and economic development : measuring the impact," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 2988, The World Bank.
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira & Christian Volpe Martincus & Juan S. Blyde, . "Unclogging the Arteries: The Impact of Transport Costs on Latin American and Caribbean Trade," IDB Publications, Inter-American Development Bank 13138, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Gonzalez, Julio A. & Guasch, Jose Luis & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2008. "Improving logistics costs for transportation and trade facilitation," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 4558, The World Bank.
- David Hummels, 2007. "Transportation Costs and International Trade in the Second Era of Globalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 131-154, Summer.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 42(3), pages 691-751, September.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004. "Trade Costs," NBER Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc 10480, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004. "Trade Costs," Boston College Working Papers in Economics, Boston College Department of Economics 593, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Matthias Helble & Catherine Mann & John Wilson, 2012.
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer,
Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 357-376, June.
- Helble, Matthias & Mann, Catherine & Wilson, John S., 2009. "Aid for trade facilitation," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 5064, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.