Trade Facilitation Measures in South Asian FTAs : An Overview of Initiatives and Policy Approaches
AbstractSeveral South Asian countries have joined the current wave of bilateral and sub-regional free trade agreements (FTA) in the region. The dynamics of regional cooperation is supported by the rapid economic expansion which is creating complementarities for trade expansion. Though the intra-regional trade has expanded over the years but is far below its potential as not enough attention is being paid on the launching of trade facilitation (TF) measures. In this paper we have made an effort to take a stock of various FTAs in South Asia from the point of view of incorporation of TF measures in the text of FTAs. We also look into the individual initiatives being made by the South Asian countries for advancement of trade facilitation especially in context of Articles V, VIII and X.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Trade Working Papers with number 22091.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
South Asia; trade facilitation; regional cooperation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O24 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Trade Policy; Factor Movement; Foreign Exchange Policy
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yann Duval, 2006. "An exploration of the need for and cost of selected trade facilitation measures in Asia-Pacific in the context of the WTO negotiations," Working Papers 1406, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Prabir De & Abdur Rob Khan & Sachin Chaturvedi, 2008. "Transit and Trade Barriers in Eastern South Asia: A Review of the Transit Regime and Performance of Strategic Border-Crossings," Working Papers 5608, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Sachin Chaturvedi, 2009. "Impact of IT related Trade Facilitation Measures on SMEs: An Overview of Indian Experience," Working Papers 6609, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Prabir De & Biswa N. Bhattacharyay, 2007. "Deepening IndiaÃ¢â‚¬â€œBangladesh Economic Cooperation : Challenges and Opportunities," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22098, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Aradhna Aggarwal, 2008.
"Regional Economic Integration and FDI in South Asia - Prospects and Problems,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22141, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Aradhna Aggarwal, 2010. "Regional Economic Integration and FDI in South Asia : Prospects and Problems," Working Papers id:2691, eSocialSciences.
- Ansari, Nasim & Khan, Tamanna, 2011. "FDI and regional economic integration in SAARC region: problems and prospects," MPRA Paper 32365, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.