Has Liberalization Strengthened the Link between Services and Manufacturing?
AbstractGlobalization and pressure from increased competition have led to splintering of in-house services from formerly integrated manufacturing firms in developed economies and, at the same time, to an increase in outsourcing of these same services. These two trends have caused a stronger linkage in services and manufacturing in economic data because services which were previously lumped with manufacturing are now recorded separately and, in a sense, given identity. The study tries to shed some light on this linkage in the Philippine case. Contrary to experiences of other countries, the contribution of services to growth in manufacturing decreased from the 1980s to the 1990s. The manufacturing sectors usage of services also declined from the first to the second period. This result suggests that the Philippines has caught the splintering trend quite late and is, perhaps, only now catching on that the available 1990s data have not yet been able to capture.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Microeconomics Working Papers with number 22047.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
globalization; splintering; Outsourcing; services-manufacturing link; growth accounting;
Other versions of this item:
- Gloria O. Pasadilla & Christine Marie M. Liao, 2007. "Has Liberalization Strengthened the Link between Services and Manufacturing?," Working Papers 4807, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Liao, Christine Marie & Pasadilla, Gloria O., 2007. "Has Liberalization Strengthened the Link between Services and Manufacturing?," Discussion Papers DP 2007-13, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andersson, Martin, 2004. "Co-Location Of Manufacturing & Producer Services – A Simultaneous Equation Approach," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 8, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Poonam Gupta & James P. F. Gordon, 2004. "Understanding Indiaâ€™s Services Revolution," IMF Working Papers 04/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Blunch, Niels-Hugo & Verner, Dorte, 1999. "Sector growth and the dual economy model - evidence from Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, and Zimbabwe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2175, The World Bank.
- Per Mathis Kongsrud & Isabelle Wanner, 2005. "The Impact of Structural Policies on Trade-Related Adjustment and the Shift to Services," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 427, OECD Publishing.
- Shujiro Urata & Kozo Kiyota, 2003. "Services Trade in East Asia," NBER Chapters, in: Trade in Services in the Asia Pacific Region, NBER East Asia Seminar on Economics (EASE), Volume 11, pages 379-428 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francois, Joseph & Reinert, Kenneth A, 1995. "The Role of Services in the Structure of Production and Trade: Stylized Facts from a Cross-Country Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1228, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dirk Pilat & Anita Wölfl, 2005. "Measuring the Interaction Between Manufacturing and Services," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2005/5, OECD Publishing.
- Cororaton, Caesar B. & Cuenca, Janet S., 2001. "Estimates of Total Factor Productivity in the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2001-02, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer, 2001. "Measuring productivity," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(2), pages 127-170.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.