Target Saving In An Overlapping Generations Model
AbstractWe examine a model in which the utility function has been engineered so that it is optimal for consumers to aim for a fixed target level of retirement resources. In this case consumption displays excess sensitivity to current income as well as perfect old age insurance. In an overlapping generations model, this leads naturally to multiple and unstable equilibria. Under static expectations, it also leads to a well-defined dynamics, including possible historical traps, implosions involving ever-diminishing capital stock and ever-increasing interest rates, and the feasibility of optimal one-time interventions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Macroeconomics Working Papers with number 22433.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Targets; history; excess sensitivity; static expectations; Rational Expectations; uniqueness;
Other versions of this item:
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manisha Chakrabarty & Anke Schmalenbach, 2002. "The Effect of Current Income on Aggregate Consumption," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 33(3), pages 297-317.
- Samwick, Andrew A., 1998.
"Tax Reform and Target Saving,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 51(n. 3), pages 621-35, September.
- Costas Azariadis & Luisa Lambertini, 2003.
"Endogenous Debt Constraints in Lifecycle Economies,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 70(3), pages 461-487.
- Costas Azariadis & Luisa Lambertini, 2003. "Endogenous Debt Constraints in Lifecycle Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(3), pages 461-487, 07.
- Palivos, Theodore, 2001. "Social norms, fertility and economic development," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1919-1934, December.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 1990.
"Increasing Returns, Industrialization and Indeterminacy of Equilibrium,"
878, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1991. "Increasing Returns, Industrialization, and Indeterminacy of Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 617-50, May.
- Adsera, Alicia & Ray, Debraj, 1998. " History and Coordination Failure," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 267-76, September.
- Koichi Futagami & Shingo Ishiguro, 2004. "Signal-extracting education in an overlapping generations model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 129-146, 07.
- Glomm, Gerhard & Ravikumar, B., 1996. "Endogenous public policy and multiple equilibria," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 653-662, April.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2008:i:30:p:1-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ashok Guha & Brishti Guha, 2008.
"Utility functions, future consumption targets and subsistence thresholds,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
22431, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Brishti Guha & Ashok Guha, 2008. "Utility functions, future consumption targets and subsistence thresholds," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(30), pages 1-4.
- Brishti Guha & Ashok S. Guha, 2008. "Utility functions, future consumption targets and subsistence thresholds," Working Papers 16-2008, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.