Selection Criteria for Sustainable Development Indicators
AbstractThe selection of optimum number of indicators is the key to any Sustainable Development Indicator (SDI) research. Indicators, too less in number may be inadequate to convey the message and; too many may dilute the purpose. To arrive at a limited number of indicators from a larger set of potential ones, a set of criteria is applied. In the past SDI-initiatives, emphasis was not laid on structuring criteria; these were invariably considered in a linear way. This paper proposes a framework to organize criteria in a tree fashion at successive levels. For each level, the weights of a criterion relative to others are determined by following Analytical Hierarchy Process where experts opinions are considered. For aggregation of scores, displaced ideal method is proposed over linear additive model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Governance Working Papers with number 23018.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
What-How-Whom (WHW) framework; Value tree; Analytical Hierarchy Process; Displaced ideal;
Other versions of this item:
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2010. "Selection criteria for sustainable development indicators," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2010-013, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Q01 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - Sustainable Development
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- D70 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Le Hai & Pham Hai & Pham Ha & Nguyen Ha & Ly Dai & Pham Hoa & Nguyen Huan & Lai Cam, 2014. "A System of Sustainability Indicators for the Province of Thai Binh, Vietnam," Social Indicators Research, Springer, Springer, vol. 116(3), pages 661-679, May.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2011. "Urban transport sustainability indicators: Application of Multi-View Black-Box (MVBB) framework," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2011-022, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.