Bond Market Development in Asia : An Empirical Analysis of Major Determinants
AbstractOne of the reasons behind the financial crisis in 1997 was excessive dependence of Asian economies on commercial banks for domestic financing. Banks were the major source of corporate financing because the other major source, bond markets, was underdeveloped and small. On the other hand, the 2008 global financial crisis led to constraints in acquiring local currency and foreign currency liquidity in the corporate sector, as foreign banks withdrew investments from Asia. Furthermore, Asia needs large quantities of capital (US$750 billion per year for 2010â€“2020) to develop infrastructure connectivity within and across its economies. Local and regional capital can be channeled for long-term infrastructure projects and other productive investment through bond markets. At this juncture, to enhance bond financing, it is important to examine factors that promote effective development of bond markets. This study attempts to identity the major determinants of bond market development in Asian economies, through examining its relationship with selected key financial and economic factors, and to provide policy recommendations for further developing Asian bond markets. Major determinants for bond market development in Asia include the size of an economy, the stage of economic development, the openness of an economy, the size of the banking sector, and the interest rate spread.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Finance Working Papers with number 23236.
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
domestic financing; Asian economies; bond market development;
Other versions of this item:
- Bhattacharyay, Biswa Nath, 2011. "Bond Market Development in Asia: An Empirical Analysis of Major Determinants," ADBI Working Papers 300, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Biswa Nath Bhattacharyay, 2011. "Bond Market Development in Asia : An Empirical Analysis of Major Determinants," Governance Working Papers 23236, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-21 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhattacharyay, Biswa, 2010. "Financing Asia’s Infrastructure: Modes of Development and Integration of Asian Financial Markets," ADBI Working Papers 229, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Bernhard Eschweiler, 2006. "Bond market regulation and supervision in Asia," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Asian bond markets: issues and prospects, volume 30, pages 335-352 Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.