Financial Services Integration in East Asia : Lessons from the European Union
AbstractThis paper distills some policy lessons from the financial services integration programme in the European Union for East Asia. Focusing on the improved cross-border facilitation of financial flows rather than on general macroeconomic factors related to optimal currency area formation, the paper discusses some specific features of the EUs financial sector liberalization programme and the results achieved so far. Considering the institutional difference between EU and East Asia, it discusses what possible features of the EU experience will be replicable in the region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Finance Working Papers with number 22680.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Regional Economic Integration; financial services liberalization; Banking; East Asia;
Other versions of this item:
- Pasadilla, Gloria O., 2008. "Financial Services Integration in East Asia: Lessons from the European Union," Discussion Papers DP 2008-31, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Gloria O. Pasadilla, 2008. "Financial services integration in East Asia: Lessons from the European Union," Working Papers 5308, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramkishen Rajan & Rahul Sen, 2002. "Liberalisation of Financial Services in Southeast Asia under the ASEAN Framework Agreement on Services (AFAS)," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2002-26, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Leslie Teo & David Cowen & Hemant Shah & Ranil Salgado & Alessandro Zanello, 2006. "Financial Integration in Asia: Recent Developments and Next Steps," IMF Working Papers 06/196, International Monetary Fund.
- Paula Bongini, 2003.
"The EU Experience in Financial Services Liberalization: A Model for GATS Negotiations?,"
Chapters in SUERF Studies,
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Paula Bongini, 2003. "The EU Experience in Financial Services Liberalization: A Model for GATS Negotiations?," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2003/2 edited by Morten Balling.
- Dorrucci, Ettore & Firpo, Stefano & Mongelli, Francesco Paolo & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2002. "European integration: what lessons for other regions? The case of Latin America," Working Paper Series 0185, European Central Bank.
- Lane, Philip & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, . "External Wealth of Nations," Instructional Stata datasets for econometrics extwealth, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Crama, Y. & Leruth, L. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Urbain, J-P., 1999.
"Corporate Governance Structures, Control and Performance in European Markets: A Tale of Two Systems,"
1999-97, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- CRAMA, Yves & LERUTH, Luc & RENNEBOOG, Luc & URBAIN, Jean-Pierre, 1999. "Corporate governance structures, control and performance in European markets: a tale of two systems," CORE Discussion Papers 1999042, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Gevers, J. & Gelissen, J. & Arts, W., 1999. "Public health care in balance : exploring popular support for health care systems in the European Union," WORC Paper 19, Tilburg University, Work and Organization Research Centre.
- Andrew Sheng, 2006. "Building National and Regional Financial Markets: The East Asian Experience," Papers Presented at Global Meetings of the Emerging Markets Forum 2006regfinmkt, Emerging Markets Forum.
- Gual, Jordi, 2003. "Integration of EU banking markets, The," IESE Research Papers D/504, IESE Business School.
- Adalbert Winkler, 2010.
"The Financial Crisis : A Wake-Up Call for Strengthening Regional Monitoring of Financial Markets and Regional Coordination of Financial Sector Policies?,"
Finance Working Papers
22022, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Adalbert Winkler, 2010. "The Financial Crisis: A Wake-Up Call for Strengthening Regional Monitoring of Financial Markets and Regional Coordination of Financial Sector Policies?," Working Papers id:3021, eSocialSciences.
- Winkler, Adalbert, 2010. "The Financial Crisis: A Wake-Up Call for Strengthening Regional Monitoring of Financial Markets and Regional Coordination of Financial Sector Policies?," ADBI Working Papers 199, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Hong Bum Jang, 2011. "Financial Integration and Cooperation in East Asia: Assessment of Recent Developments and Their Implications," IMES Discussion Paper Series 11-E-05, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Gajewski, Krzysztof & Olszewski, Krzysztof & Pawłowska, Małgorzata & Rogowski, Wojciech & Tchorek, Grzegorz & Zięba, Jolanta, 2012.
"Integracja finansowa w Europie po wprowadzeniu euro. Przegląd literatury
[Financial integration in Europe after the introduction of the euro. A literature overview]," MPRA Paper 42482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.