East Asian Economic Integration and its Impact on Future Growth
AbstractTwo propositions appear to be gaining wide currency, given the revealed preference for preferential trade agreements (PTAs) in the East Asian region and elsewhere. The first is that economic integration is a good way to promote economic growth. The second is that PTAs, particularly ones that go beyond goods trade, are an effective way to promote economic integration. Yet both propositions are empirical questions. In this paper, a partial evaluation of the evidence suggests caution is called for. Current PTAs appear to be doing little to remove the important impediments to growth in the region. Far greater income gains would come from comprehensive reform of nondiscriminatory impediments to competition, as part of a thorough-going program of unilateral domestic regulatory reform. It may be time to rethink East Asian economic integration as a policy priority, or at least review the way in which it might be pursued.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Development Economics Working Papers with number 21988.
Date of creation: Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
East Asia; economic integration; trade; Growth;
Other versions of this item:
- Philippa Dee, 2007. "East Asian Economic Integration and its Impact on Future Growth," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 405-423, 03.
- Philippa Dee, 2005. "East Asian Economic Integration and its Impact on Future Growth," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 350, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- O24 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Trade Policy; Factor Movement; Foreign Exchange Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Vanzetti & Greg McGuire & Prabowo, 2005.
"Trade Policy at the Crossroads: The Indonesian Story,"
Asia Pacific Economic Papers
347, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- David Vanzetti & Greg McGuire, 2005. "Trade Policy At The Crossroads – The Indonesian Story," UNCTAD Blue Series Papers 28, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- David Vanzetti & Greg McGuire & Prabowo, 2005. "Trade Policy at the Crossroads - The Indonesian Story," Trade Working Papers 22037, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Arief Ramayandi, 2005.
"ASEAN Monetary Cooperation : Issues and Prospects,"
Finance Working Papers
22028, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Dollar, David & Micco, Alejandro & Clark, Ximena, 2002. "Maritime transport costs and port efficiency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2781, The World Bank.
- Peter DRYSDALE & Shiro ARMSTRONG, 2010.
"International and Regional Cooperation: Asia's Role and Responsibilities,"
Asian Economic Policy Review,
Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 5(2), pages 157-173, December.
- Peter Drysdale & Shiro Armstrong, 2010. "International and Regional Cooperation : Asia's Role and Responsibilities," EABER Working Papers 22763, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rolf J. Langhammer, 2007.
"Sectoral Distortions and Service Protection in Russia. A Comparison with Benchmark Emerging Markets and EU Accession Candidates,"
Kiel Working Papers
1385, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Rolf J. Langhammer, 2008. "Sectoral Distortions and Service Protection in Russia: A Comparison with Benchmark Emerging Markets and EU Accession Candidates," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(6), pages 70-83, November.
- Baldwin, Richard E., 2011.
"Sequencing Regionalism: Theory, European Practice, and Lessons for Asia,"
Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration
80, Asian Development Bank.
- Baldwin, Richard, 2010. "Sequencing regionalism: Theory, European practice, and lessons for Asia," CEPR Discussion Papers 7852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacob Funk Kirkegaard, 2012.
"Transactions: A New Look at Services Sector Foreign Direct Investment in Asia,"
Working Paper Series
WP12-16, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Kirkegaard, Jacob Funk, 2012. "Transactions: A New Look at Service Sector Foreign Direct Investment in Asia," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 318, Asian Development Bank.
- Hiro Lee & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 2007. "Regional Integration, Sectoral Adjustments and Natural Groupings in East Asia," OSIPP Discussion Paper 07E008, Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University.
- Philippa Dee, 2008. "The role of microeconomic policy reform in regional integration Ã¢â‚¬â€ analytical and empirical issues," EABER Working Papers 21793, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hiro Lee & Robert F. Owen & Dominique van der Mensbrugghe, 2008. "Regional Integration in Asia and Its Effects on the EU and North America," OSIPP Discussion Paper 08E012, Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University.
- Rolf J. Langhammer, 2006. "Service Trade Liberalization as a Handmaiden of Competitiveness in Manufacturing: An Industrialized or Developing Country Issue?," Kiel Working Papers 1293, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- repec:idb:brikps:47578 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee, Hiro & Owen, Robert F. & van der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 2009. "Regional integration in Asia and its effects on the EU and North America," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 240-254, May.
- Shiro Armstrong, 2010. "Taiwan's Asia Pacific Economic Strategies Post-ECFA," EABER Working Papers 22810, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Jane Korinek & Mark Melatos, 2009. "Trade Impacts of Selected Regional Trade Agreements in Agriculture," OECD Trade Policy Papers 87, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.