Evaluation of the effects of European regional policy in the diminution of regional disparities
AbstractOne of the EU objectives is economic and social cohesion, which is a necessary step for the success of European integration. A key factor for cohesion is the implementation of the adequate regional policy in order to reduce regional disparities. This objective can be reached in two different ways. The first one is through levelling transferences from rich to poor regions. The second one would tend to locate peripheral regions in conditions of developing production activities so as to reach an economic development similar to that of the richest ones. This second way, which consist of "equalizing opportunities", is the one we prefer. In this paper, we analyse at which extent European regional policy has allowed to reach the conditions needed in order to stimulate endogenous development in the less developed regions. In this connection, we reckon that the main factors in order to reach this development are geared in stimulating both industrial investment and research and education. We analyse whether or not this elements have been adequately addressed within European policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics. in its series Economic Development with number 29.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Avda Xoan XXIII S/N, 15704 Santiago de Compostela
Phone: (981) 56 31 00 Ext: 11518
Fax: (981) 56 36 37
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/welcomei.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- M. Carmen Guisan & M. Teresa Cancelo & M. Rosario Diaz-Vazquez, 1998. "Evaluation of the effects of European regional policy in the diminution of regional disparities," ERSA conference papers ersa98p312, European Regional Science Association.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guisan, M.Carmen & Cancelo, M.Teresa & Diaz, M.Rosario, 1997. "Regional patterns of industrial sector in EU countries 1980-1995," Economic Development 16, University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics..
- Raul Caruso, 2005.
"Regioni e Territori nello Spazio Europeo della Ricerca,"
- Caruso, R. & Palano, D., 2005. "Regioni e Territori nello Spazio Europeo della Ricerca," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 5(1).
- Elias Kourliouros & George Korres & Emmanuel Marmaras & George Tsobanoglou, 2006. "Economic Geography and Regional Growth: An Empirical Evidence From Greece," ERSA conference papers ersa06p30, European Regional Science Association.
- Vermeire, Bert & Gellynck, Xavier & De Steur, Hans & Viaene, Jacques, 2008. "Networks in Rural Economy: Valorising Endogenous and Exogenous Drivers of Innovation," 110th Seminar, February 18-22, 2008, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 49846, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.