Vers une convergence des modèles? une réflexion à la lumière des expériences européennes de réforme des systèmes d'enseignement supérieur
AbstractIn this paper we compare the institutional evolution of the higher education systems in France and England from 1980 onwards. These two systems are interesting case-studies as they correspond to two topical opposite positions in terms of their elaborative structures :the French system was originally centralised whereas the English model was decentralised. The optimal way to reform higher education systems is different in both cases (and easier in a decentralised setting due to the noncooperative behaviour of higher education institutions). We show that England faced a centralising movement (especially since 1988) whereas in France a decentralising movement was a precondition for effective reforms. In a long run perspective there seems to be some convergence between the 2 models as well as institutional change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series DULBEA Working Papers with number 08-15.RS.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by: ULB, DULBEA
reform – higher education - comparison;
Other versions of this item:
- Jean Luc De Meulemeester, . "Vers une convergence des modèles? une réflexion à la lumière des expériences européennes de réforme des systèmes d'enseignement supérieur," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14485, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education; Research Institutions
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
- P59 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2008-07-20 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2008-07-20 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charles Plaigin, 2009. "Exploratory study on the presence of cultural and institutional growth spillovers," DULBEA Working Papers 09-03.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Demeulemeester Jean-Luc & Diebolt Claude, 2009.
"Education and Growth: What Links for Which Policy?,"
09-03, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC).
- Jean-Luc Demeulemeester & Claude Diebolt, 2011. "Education and Growth: What Links for Which Policy?," Historical Social Research (Section 'Cliometrics'), Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 36(4), pages 323-346.
- Oscar Bernal Diaz & Kim Oosterlinck & Ariane Szafarz, 2009.
"Observing bailout expectations during a total eclipse of the sun,"
DULBEA Working Papers
09-01.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bernal, Oscar & Oosterlinck, Kim & Szafarz, Ariane, 2010. "Observing bailout expectations during a total eclipse of the sun," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1193-1205, November.
- Oscar Bernal Diaz & Kim Oosterlinck & Ariane Szafarz, 2008. "Observing bailout expectations during a total eclipse of the sun," Working Papers CEB 08-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Ariane Szafarz, 2008.
"Labor market discrimination as an agency cost,"
DULBEA Working Papers
08-19.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.