Structure économique et croissance locale: étude économétrique des arrondissements belges, 1991-1997
AbstractWe study the link between economic structure and growth in the 43 Belgian ‘arrondissements’ between 1991 and 1997. We find empirical evidence that local economic structure has a significant impact on the local growth of the service sector as a whole. Sectoral specialization and competition would affect negatively local growth in this sector while we find strong evidence of a positive effect of sectoral diversity. The size of the local market would not play any role on growth but the average local income does so. Our results are consistent with those found by COMBES (2000) for local growth in France.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series DULBEA Working Papers with number 05-15.RS.
Length: 22 p.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by: Université libre de Bruxelles, DULBEA
economic structure; local growth; specialization; sectoral diversity; competition.;
Other versions of this item:
- Didier Baudewyns, 2005. "Structure économique et croissance locale : etude Econométrique des arrondissements belges, 1991-1997," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(5), pages 635-656.
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sile Padraigin O'Dorchai, 2008. "Pay inequality in 25 European countries," DULBEA Working Papers 08-06rs, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Régis Blazy & Laurent Weill, 2007.
"The impact of legal sanctions on moral hazard when debt contracts are renegotiable?,"
Working Papers CEB
07-012.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Régis Blazy & Laurent Weill, 2007. "The impact of legal sanctions on moral hazard when debt contracts are renegotiable?," DULBEA Working Papers 07-06.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Charles Plaigin, 2009. "Exploratory study on the presence of cultural and institutional growth spillovers," DULBEA Working Papers 09-03.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.