Empirical Puzzles of Chilean Stabilization Policy
AbstractThis paper reviews Chilean stabilization policy during the 1990s and argues that, while the merits of Chilean policy should be praised, there are four puzzles in conventional interpretations of the Chilean experience worth studying. First, the policy of targeting indexed interest rates does not coincide with a policy of targeting real interest rates. Second, there is no systematic link between the decline in inflation and the upward adjustments in indexed interest rates. Third, changes in the exchange rate and in the performance of the external sector help explain the decline in inflation. Fourth, the strong cyclical growth of the real economy was influenced in part by the large and persistent increase in the world price of Copper. We provide statistical evidence favoring these arguments using recursively-identified vector-autoregression models, and sketch a model of staggered pricing under indexation that sheds some light on the Chilean case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Duke University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 98-02.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics Duke University 213 Social Sciences Building Box 90097 Durham, NC 27708-0097
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://econ.duke.edu/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonio Spilimbergo, 1999.
"Copper and the Chilean Economy, 1960-98,"
IMF Working Papers
99/57, International Monetary Fund.
- Cunha, Alexandre B., 2002.
"Optimal Exchange Rate Policy, Optimal Incomplete Taxation and Business Cycles,"
Insper Working Papers
wpe_16, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Alexandre Barros da Cunha, 2003. "Optimal Exchange Rate Policy, Optimal Incomplete Taxation and Business Cycles," Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting] b16, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Sebastian Edwards, 1999. "Crisis Prevention: Lessons from Mexico and East Asia," NBER Working Papers 7233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Volker Wieland, 2009.
"Learning, Endogenous Indexation, and Disinflation in the New-Keynesian Model,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Carl E. Walsh & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series (ed.), Monetary Policy under Uncertainty and Learning, edition 1, volume 13, chapter 11, pages 413-450
Central Bank of Chile.
- Volker Wieland, 2008. "Learning, Endogenous Indexation, and Disinflation in the New-Keynesian Model," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 11(3), pages 21-44, December.
- Volker Wieland, 2008. "Learning, Endogenous Indexation, and Disinflation in the New-Keynesian Model," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 493, Central Bank of Chile.
- Wieland, Volker, 2008. "Learning, Endogenous Indexation and Disinflation in the New-Keynesian Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 6749, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wieland, Volker, 2008. "Learning, endogenous indexation and disinflation in the New-Keynesian model," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/17, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2000. "Inestabilidad estructural en Chile: informe de políticas," Research Department Publications 4212, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2000. "Structural Volatility in Chile: A Policy Report," Research Department Publications 4211, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- repec:cfs:cfswop:wp200817 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.