On the Deterioration of the Net Barter Terms of Trade for Primary Commodities
AbstractThis paper is divided into two parts. The first part reviews the theoretical arguments that have surrounded the issue of the deterioration in the terms of trade since the 1950s. The second part reviews critically some of the most important methods used to test the hypothesis of deterioration in the terms of trade for primary commodities. New tests for the periods 1948-1989 and 1921-1986 are presented. The results support the hypothesis that there is a long-term deterioration in the terms of trade for primary commodities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Datamétrica Consultoria Econômica in its series Working Papers with number 46.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 1992
Date of revision: 1992
Publication status: Published in Revista Brasileira de Econometria, Unctad Review and New World Order Series: Export-Led Versus Balanced Growth in the 1990s.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Rua Luis Guimaraes, no 207, Poco de Panela, Recife/PE
Phone: +55 (081) 3267 1500
Fax: +55 (081) 3267 1512
Web page: http://126.96.36.199/
More information through EDIRC
Terms of Trade; Primary Commodities; Long Term Trend;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F19 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gheorghe Săvoiu & Vasile Dinu & Laurenţiu Tăchiciu, 2012. "Romania Foreign Trade in Global Recession, Revealed by the Extended Method of Exchange Rate Indicators," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 14(31), pages 173-194, February.
- José Antonio Ocampo & María Angela Parra, 2004. "The commodity terms of trade and their strategic implications for development," International Trade 0403001, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirelle Queiroz).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.