Modeling the horizon-dependent risk premium in the forex market: evidence from survey data
AbstractUsing Consensus Economics survey data on experts' expectations, we aim to model the 3- and 12-month ahead ex-ante risk premia on the Yen/USD and the British Pound/USD exchange markets. For each market and at a given horizon, we show that the risk premium is well determined by the conditional expected variance of the change in the real exchange rate, agents' real net market position in assets and a constant composite risk aversion coefficient, as suggested by a two-country portfolio asset pricing model. The expected variance depends on the past values of the observed variance and the unobservable real net market position is estimated as a state variable using the Kalman filter methodology. We found that the trends of our estimated horizon-specific net market positions are consistent with the ones of the observed short term aggregate net market positions calculated using the U.S. Treasury International Capital System dataset. Moreover, we show that the ex-post premia tend to adjust towards the ex-ante values, suggesting that experts' beliefs provide a relevant information to the market. These results bring new responses to the difficulties reported by the widespread ex-post risk premium literature and enhances the usefulness of survey data in modelling the risk premium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX in its series EconomiX Working Papers with number 2012-29.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
risk premium; foreign exchange market; international asset pricing model; survey data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Hodrick, Robert J, 1980. "Forward Exchange Rates as Optimal Predictors of Future Spot Rates: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 829-53, October.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1985. "Currency prices, terms of trade, and interest rates: A general equilibrium asset-pricing cash-in-advance approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 17-41, February.
- Georges Prat & Remzi Uctum, 2007.
"Switching Between Expectation Processes in the Foreign Exchange Market: A Probabilistic Approach Using Survey Data,"
- Georges Prat & Remzi Uctum, 2007. "Switching between Expectation Processes in the Foreign Exchange Market: a Probabilistic Approach using Survey Data," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 700-719, 09.
- Verschoor, Willem F.C. & Wolff, Christian C.P., 2001.
"Scandinavian forward discount bias risk premia,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13924, Maastricht University.
- R Macdonald, .
"Are Foreign Exchange Market Forecasters 'Rational'?: Some Survey Based Tests,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
014, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- MacDonald, Ronald, 1990. "Are Foreign Exchange Market Forecasters "Rational"? Some Survey-Based Tests," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 58(3), pages 229-41, September.
- Cumby, Robert E., 1988.
"Is it risk? : Explaining deviations from uncovered interest parity,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 279-299, September.
- Robert E. Cumby, 1987. "Is it Risk? Explaining Deviations from Uncovered Interest Parity," NBER Working Papers 2380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicholas Barberis, 2000. "Investing for the Long Run when Returns Are Predictable," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 225-264, 02.
- Chionis, Dionysios & MacDonald, Ronald, 2002. "Aggregate and disaggregate measures of the foreign exchange risk premium," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 57-84, April.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1984. "Forward and spot exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 319-338, November.
- Lewis, Karen K., 1995. "Puzzles in international financial markets," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 37, pages 1913-1971 Elsevier.
- Hodrick, Robert J., 1989.
"Risk, uncertainty, and exchange rates,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 433-459, May.
- Cavaglia, Stefano M.F.G. & Verschoor, Willem F.C. & Wolff, Christian C.P., 1994.
"On the biasedness of forward foreign exchange rates: Irrationality or risk premia?,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13909, Maastricht University.
- Cavaglia, Stefano M F G & Verschoor, Willem F C & Wolff, Christian C P, 1994. "On the Biasedness of Forward Foreign Exchange Rates: Irrationality or Risk Premia?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(3), pages 321-43, July.
- Engel, Charles, 1996.
"The forward discount anomaly and the risk premium: A survey of recent evidence,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 123-192, June.
- Charles Engel, 1996. "The Forward Discount Anomaly and the Risk Premium: A Survey of Recent Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cavaglia, Stefano & Verschoor, Willem F. C. & Wolff, Christian C. P., 1993.
"Further evidence on exchange rate expectations,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 78-98, February.
- Cavaglia, Stefano & Verschoor, Willem F.C. & Wolff, Christian C.P., 1993. "Further evidence on exchange rate expectations," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13903, Maastricht University.
- Mark, Nelson C., 1985. "On time varying risk premia in the foreign exchange market: An econometric analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 3-18, July.
- Sibert, Anne, 1996. "Unconventional preferences: do they explain foreign exchange risk premia?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 149-165, February.
- Feige, Edgar L & Pearce, Douglas K, 1976. "Economically Rational Expectations: Are Innovations in the Rate of Inflation Independent of Innovations in Measures of Monetary and Fiscal Policy?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(3), pages 499-522, June.
- Domowitz, Ian & Hakkio, Craig S., 1985. "Conditional variance and the risk premium in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 47-66, August.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Torrance, Thomas S, 1990. "Expectations Formation and Risk in Four Foreign Exchange Markets," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(3), pages 544-61, July.
- Backus, David K & Gregory, Allan W & Telmer, Chris I, 1993.
" Accounting for Forward Rates in Markets for Foreign Currency,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1887-1908, December.
- David K. Backus & Allan W. Gregory & Chris I. Telmer, 1992. "Accounting for Forward Rates in Markets for Foreign Currency," Working Papers 92-18b, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- David K. Backus & Allan W. Gregory & Chris I. Telmer, 1990. "Accounting for Forward Rates in Markets for Foreign Currency," Working Papers 792, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Ph. Andrade & C. Bruneau, 1998.
"Excess returns, portfolio choices and exchange rates dynamics. The Yen/Dollar case, 1980-1998,"
THEMA Working Papers
98-36, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Andrade, Philippe & Bruneau, Catherine, 2002. " Excess Returns, Portfolio Choices and Exchange Rate Dynamics: The Yen/Dollar Case, 1980-1998," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(3), pages 237-60, July.
- Andrade, P. & Bruneau, C., 1998. "Excess Returns, Portfolio Choices and Exchange rates Dynamics. The Yen/Dollar Case, 1980-1998," Papers 9836, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection by Dynamic Stochastic Programming," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 239-46, August.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1982. "Interest rates and currency prices in a two-country world," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 335-359.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.