Uncertainty and Investment : Some Evidence from the Panel Data of Japanese Manufacturing Firms
AbstractWe analyse empirically the effect of uncertainty on fixed investment by estimating an accelerator-type investment function based on a panel data set of the Hapanese manufacturing firms. The uncertainty measure, represented by the conditional standard deviation of the sales ghrowth rate, is constructed by employing three different statistical models : the rolling regressions model, the ARCH model, and the conventional formula of standard deviation.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University in its series ISER Discussion Paper with number 0436.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
UNCERTAINTY ; INVESTMENTS ; JAPAN;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice and Growth, Financing, Investment, and Capacity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Singh, Prakarsh, 2011. "Impact of terrorism on investment decisions of farmers: evidence from the Punjab insurgency," MPRA Paper 33328, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Masayo Kani, 2007. "Patent Acquisitions under Uncertainty: The Case of Requests for Examination," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 07-06, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Henriques, Irene & Sadorsky, Perry, 2011. "The effect of oil price volatility on strategic investment," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 79-87, January.
- Harada, Nobuyuki & Honjo, Yuji, 2005. "Does the Creative Business Promotion Law enhance SMEs' capital investments? Evidence from a panel dataset of unlisted SMEs in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 395-406, December.
- OKUDAIRA Hiroko & TAKIZAWA Miho & TSURU Kotaro, 2011.
"Employment Protection and Productivity: Evidence from firm-level panel data in Japan,"
11078, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- H. Okudaira & M. Takizawa & K. Tsuru, 2013. "Employment protection and productivity: evidence from firm-level panel data in Japan," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 45(15), pages 2091-2105, May.
- Hamaaki, Junya, 2008. "Investment responses to Japanese tax reforms: A cross-industry comparison," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 542-562, December.
- Mark J. Koetse & Henri L.F. de Groot & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2006. "The Impact of Uncertainty on Investment: A Meta-Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-060/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Le, K.N. & Hermes, N. & Lanjouw, G., 2003. "Irreversible investment and uncertainty : an empirical study of rice mills in the Mekong river delta, Vietnam," Research Report 03E40, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- SHINADA Naoki, 2008. "Corporate Investment and Uncertainty: An empirical analysis," Discussion papers 08033, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Santiago Carbó Valverde & Francisco Rodríguez-Fernández & Gregory F. Udell, 2008. "Bank lending, financing constraints and SME investment," Working Paper Series WP-08-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.